Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have a LG refrigerator side by side and the water

Customer Question
dispenser and ice maker will...
I have a LG refrigerator side by side and the water dispenser and ice maker will not dispense, it will make ice though....i tested the auger motor and it has continuity and so does the solenoid beside it that opens the chute for the ice?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Appliance
9/19/2015
Appliance Technician: Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician replied 2 years ago
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now. Please give me time to respond as typing, researching and adding links takes me time to do so please be patient and often I will ask you questions to narrow down the issue so do not rate me until we are done thanks.

Does the fill valve actuate when you press the dispenser?

let me tell you this first....my wife was pressing the ice dispenser the other day nad she said she started smelling something burning and then al of sudden the water dispenser would not dispense ice nor water. I know here the switch actuating when depressed to release water....havent pulled the fridge out yet to check the valve in the back yet

AHHHHHHHH yes they had issues with the valves going bad and the solenoids melting....You have a bad valve on that unit almost 99%

We are on the honor system for our time, all I ask is please rate my service using the star rating link on your page before you leave. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This is the only way I am paid or credited through the site for my time. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks

never mind the phone call, as long as you are refrring to the little vale in the back of the refrigerator....So then my auger motor is good, the solenoid beside it is good too then....so the smell she was smelling was coming from the fill valve soelnoid burning up?

Yes exactly!

Not so sure this the issue...it will make ice no problem? Y are u saying the water fill valve?

The water valve often overheats and melts or possibly the board relay or transistor for the dispensing circuit has fried. You can check the board for any signs of burns marks on the front and back to see if that is the issue and then check the solenoid for the water valve for signs of overheating.

I just checked the valve solenoid and it was reading 385 ohms....also, i am assuming the board relay is located on the dispenser unit....i cant figure on how to remove the faceplate...i have the cover loosened but cant get it off bc of the ice chute...

The board relay is on the main board behind the unit, there is a cover panel behind the unit and that is the board that powers all the functions.

if the valve is reading 385 ohms, is that good or bad? It will produce ice, so if that is the case, how can that fill valve be bad?

That is good the board relay that controls the valve may be bad.

i dont feel that u have helped me at all...its not the fill valve...what is my next step...the auger motor wont spin nor the solenoid beside it....

I do not know if you are not getting my posts or reading them as I have told you a bunch of other things to check besides the fill valve...let me see if another expert can assist you.

The last post i received from u was about the realy on the main board, but u did not tell me where to find it at....i feel like i have wasted 28 dollars...not paying anothee expert....plz tell me what else you have posted for me to check....i am at a stand still....the solenoid that controls the ice lever is burned up....
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician