Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

Why can't I get my GE refrigerator to get cold, even

Customer Question

Why can't I get my GE refrigerator to get cold, even after setting at the coldest setting?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now. Please give me time to respond as typing, researching and adding links takes me time to do so please be patient and often I will ask you questions to narrow down the issue so do not rate me until we are done thanks.

Is the freezer the correct temp?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The set is correct..But the temperature in the freezer read 36 and de refrigerator read 68 at this time..Have been plug in for the past 12 hours after the main control board was replace..

IS the compressor and the fan next to the compressor running?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok is the freezer fan running?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We just got a new Main Control Board a day a go.

Ok can you remove the rear panel in the freezer to check the evaporator for me?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Soory to be a little dumd..But what its the evaporator looks like and location?..and what you want me to look?

OK remove the back rear panel inside the freezer, you will see a large aluminum evaporator...a bunch of aluminum tubes with fins...See if any of it is frosty and report back to me.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok....

Just let me know

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just a few ( Two of them) tubes on the right

Yes ok that is what I thought, the issue is you have a freon leak. The unit is basically out of freon. You would need it recharged and dye installed to find the leak. It will just run forever but not cool as it is nearly out of freon. That is the issue here.

We are on the honor system for our time, all I ask is please rate my service using the star rating link on your page before you leave. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This is the only way I am paid or credited through the site for my time. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Right now the temperature in the frezer is 36 and the refrigerator is 64

Yes you just have a leak in the sealed system, no freon no cooling that is the problem. It can be fixed but maybe a bit costly to repair...sorry for the news.