Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

WE JUST BOUGHT sAMSUNG RANGE MODEL# ne59j342. The stovetop

Customer Question
WE JUST BOUGHT sAMSUNG RANGE...
WE JUST BOUGHT sAMSUNG RANGE MODEL# ***** The stovetop works but none of the other electronics turn on..no led lights or oven features. the delivery men said it must be home wiring. What could be the problem?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Appliance
9/16/2015
Appliance Technician: AppTech8579, Home Appliance Technician replied 2 years ago
AppTech8579
AppTech8579, Home Appliance Technician

I would make them send in a technician or trade the stove. This sounds like the main control board is at fault.

Rating my answer "OK Service" or better is the only way I receive credit for helping you. Please let me know if you need additional assistance or have any other questions. Thanks!

This is the second stove...same thing happened with first delivery a week ago. Does this range have internal fuses or circuits?
We've checked the power to the outlet, and the old stove was plugged there and worked.

There are no fuses showing for that unit.

what should we check on the wiring?

If you go doing anything to the unit it will void the warranty.

I'm talking about the outlet. Is there anything different required for the new stoves? WE purchased the new power cord and the delivery person wired it to the stove. We do not intend to touch any wiring on the stove,but is there something we should check in the house wiring?

Check the main breaker but other than that the stove should work and plug up just as the old one did.

you actually have NO helpful answer, and I don't think I should be charged
Appliance Technician: Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician replied 2 years ago
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician

Hello, I am a different tech would you still like some help?

I assume you can view the conversation with the previous "tech". If you have any legitimate advice I would appreciate it.

Ok this is a power issue for sure, do you have a volt meter by chance and when you say the top works, do the burner glow red?

the burners work very well,and yes we've got a voltmeter

OK can you pull out the oven for me and can you remove the small panel where the cord connects to the oven you should see 3 large terminals there where it connects.

Panel was removed, and the voltage checked between the three wires. Left and Common 00.244v. Right and common 244v. Is this a breaker issue?
Also checked voltage between Left and Right: 244v.

OK you are missing the neutral, it should read 240 from the LEFT terminal or RIGHT terminal to the center. You do not have a neutral, so the wire in the middle is the issue and is somehow not hooked to the Neutral bar in the electrical panel, that is the issue here for sure.

We are on the honor system for our time, all I ask is please rate my service using the star rating link on your page before you leave. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This is the only way I am paid or credited through the site for my time. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks

Thanks. How do I verify if neutral is properly connected at breaker?

Remove the cover to your panel, locate the three wires going to the oven...There should be 2 going to the 40 or 50 amp breaker and then 1 going to the Neutral bar..>CLICK HERE

There are two neutral bars, connected by a crossover bar. The neutral wire from the stove is connected to the neutral bar on the right side. However, there is no grounding bar in the box.
All grounding (neutral) wires are connected to the two neutral bars on either side of the box. How does one remedy this situation if there is no separate grounding bar???

Grounds go to the Neutral bar as well as the Neutral bar should be connected to the grounding rod at your house.

Please note that this was originally a camper trailer that had been converted when a cabin was built around it. The breaker box was added when the wiring was expanded to include the new section of the cabin. Any ideas why there isn't a grounding bar, and what to do to get the stove working??? We appreciate all your help. You have certainly helped clear up why the stove only partially functions.

OK do you have a 3 wire plug or 4 wire plug to the stove? Also can you upload a picture of the breaker panel here?

Three-wire plug. No camera (broken) to take pictures. Box is a QO Load Center, with 20 breaker slots, some of which have double breakers.
I know this is a long shot, but is it possible that the 50amp breaker is at fault???

Well not really let me explain you need the NEUTRAL to get 120 volts to the oven for the display and clock circuits. The heating elements and burners only need 240 to work without a neutral but you need 120 volts for the clock to work so the circuit is split with the neutral feeding the clock with half the voltage (120) and 240 to the heater...without a Neutral no 120.... SO the breaker would be fine now do you have any regular outlets on the panel in the cabin?

the whole cabin is wired through the panel.

OK so if you have other 120 outlets working the issue is either the wires from the stove outlet to the panel may have switched somewhere. Do you get 240 volts across any two wires of the three at the terminal block?

NOTE: I checked the voltage at the breaker from both sides to the neutral, and they both read 120v. So, is this a wiring issue between the box and the stove???
I get 240v between the left and right connections at the breaker. Also, right and neutral voltage at the stove reads 240v.

Ok so when you are looking at the LEFT, MIDDLE, RIGHT wires...what do you get from the RIGHT to MIDDLE and FROM RIGHT TO THE LEFT WIRE

R-M= 244v R-L= 240v L-M= 00.224v
Typo: R-M= 240v

So just to be clear L-M you get 0 basically?

Correct.

OK but you are reading 240 from R-M?

I can' believe it. I just retraced where the neutral wire from the stove goes to, and whoever wired this did NOT connect that neutral to ANYTHING. It looked like it was connected with another neutral wire, BUT it was jammed underneath the neutral bar, connected to nothing. No wonder this baffled me. I thought a wire was broken, and I was getting ready to go into the crawl space. But how did the old stove manage to work, on one leg of the 240volts??? Thank you for all your valuable time. I will definitely recommend you to others.

Yes that is the issue I was just going to have you trace down the Neutral wire:)

Thanks and all I ask is please rate my service before leaving thanks again!

Connected the neutral properly, and the world is all set right, again. Sorry for taking up your time.

No problem just please use the STAR rating link to rate my service as that is the only way I am paid for my time through the site thanks!

Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician