Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

I have a stove that generates 56k BTU. The code in Marin

Customer Question

Hi. I have a stove that generates 56k BTU. The code in Marin County requires 560CFM of venting. I have in place a Samsung ME21F707MJT that has 400CFS. Is there any way that this can be increased?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 2 years ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now. Please give me time to respond as typing, researching and adding links takes me time to do so please be patient and often I will ask you questions to narrow down the issue so do not rate me until we are done thanks.

Is the inspector giving you a hard time?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Not yet. But the County has stipulated that the plans specify adequate venting over the stove. My understanding of the code is that they require 1CFM for every 100BTU. The stove is 560kBTU and the Samsung unit I installed generates 400CFM. So theoretically I need 560CFM. I want to know my options; 1. Is there a combination Microwave/hood that provides this venting power. 2.) can I supplement with another blower? Can I switch out the vent motor in the existing Samsung and increase power? Do I need to get an independent vent and switch to a desktop Microwave? Thanks, Chris

Ok you do not need a 560 CFM unit, the oven can generate that much if all the burners bake and broiler are on, which really can not happen. This is just a rating for the entire unit. The 400 CFM one is just fine.