Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Dishwasher leaking out bottom during operation

Customer Question

dishwasher leaking out bottom during operation
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.

Do you have a model number so I can better assist you? What brand is this dishwasher? And where exactly do you see it leaking?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Maytag Model #MDB4409PAW leaking out onto the floor. I don't know from where it is leaking. While running wiped ip approx. 2 cups of water
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.

OK, so what you'll want to do is remove the screws going into the lower kick panel and watch the dishwasher with a flashlight to see where exactly the water is coming from. Is it coming from the bottom of the door or a hose? Or most likely it will be coming from the large center pump somewhere.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
then what?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.

And then you'll reply back here and tell me where it's coming from so I can tell you what needs to be done.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't know how to get you back
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.

You can either just leave this window open or you can rate me and there is an E-mail sent out to you with a link to come back and ask follow-up question at no charge.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
okay will go do the look see and leave this window open..will be back
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.

OK

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.

OK

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Back...Floor under dishwasher totally dry and dusty with no water. Ran a rinse cycle and nothing shows, no leaks. Now the only thing I'm thinking was maybe the door seal was not totally engaged. The washer was rather full with dirty stuff.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.

Aye, if it's not coming from under the dishwasher it's got to be coming from the door. I'd run a cycle with no dishes and see if it ever leaks. If so, then either your door seal needs to be replaced, or open the door when it's leaking and see if the tub is filled with suds. Sometimes people accidentally fill the rinse agent up with dish soap and that will cause the dishwasher to oversuds and leak at the end of the cycle. If that's the case, the dispenser actually needs to be replaced because it's sealed and you can't just flush it out and clean it.

Otherwise, if it doesn't leak then it sounds like something might have just been propping the door open.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Well, I am positive that there is no soap in the rinse compartment. I use pods to clean and they wouldn't fit in there. I am, as of now, pretty sure that the door was the culprit. Thank you for your help.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.

No problem. I'd run a cycle and see if it leaks. If not then you know something was just popping the door slightly open. If it still leaks out the door then you'll just want to replace the door seal.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
bye, thanks again
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.

No problem at all and have a great day. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?