Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Kitchen Aid garbage disposal model KBDS250X4, trying to

Customer Question
replace switch.... removed disposal from...
Kitchen Aid garbage disposal model KBDS250X4, trying to replace switch.... removed disposal from the sink, removed three screws from the top but still can't get the cover off from over where the switch is.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Appliance
9/12/2015
Appliance Technician: kingmz, Home Appliance Technician replied 2 years ago
kingmz
kingmz, Home Appliance Technician

Hello my name is***** will be helping you today. Do you still need help with the disposal?

sorry I was away when you responded.

Okay, you have the 3-4 really long screws taken out already right?

How long is really long? There were 3 screws about an inch long that I removed with difficulty... two were rusted away to practically nothing. I'll need to replace them for sure.
I'm just hoping that the threads in the holes are undamaged.

Where were these screws located that you removed?

They were on the top of the disposal in a metal ring of sorts. I thought I'd be able to remove the ring but it feels like it's still secured somehow.
The ring held the thick rubber ring that seals the disposal to the bracket in the sink.

Okay, towards the middle of the disposal there will be 4 really long flat head screws, maybe about 3-4 inches long. You have to remove those in order to remove the shell of the disposal. Once those screws are out, use a hammer and lightly tap the flat head at the part where the screws were, you will see where the shell comes apart.

On the top or the side?

let me see if I can find you a video, okay I found one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhN4qzTieCA This isnt a KA but the concept is the same.

The outer plastic cover is still there, that's what's giving me trouble. I removed the three screws that I now see go into the grinding area, one hole at least is see-through. But nothing will come apart and I see no more screws, on the top anyway. I removed the bottom and put it back, didn't expose anything useful.
I could send a photo if you like.

sure

reformat the size, its way too big I cant see it clearly.

One minute.. how small do you want it to be?

small enough so I can just view the image on my screen, if you click youre link youll know what i mean

Looks fine to me but I'll crop it down and reduce the res a bit.
The rubber gasket or whatever is pushed in a bit where I was trying to pry the metal part up with a screwdriver. It didn't budge so I didn't try too terribly hard.

I will try and find info on this unit, although I have never taken apart a KA disposal. More times than not it just makes more sense to replace the unit instead of fixing it. I think that switch costs about 80 bucks and for a few extra dollars you can buy a new one.

Come to think of it that ring and the rubber piece that goes over it must hold the weight of the disposal so I would think there would be a little more to it than 3 small screws. I thought maybe it would thread off so I tried a strap wrench on it. No joy, although I didn't try super hard.

Remember, it can be rusted shut, take some wd 40 and apply it

I already have the switch and the couple gaskets that might need replacing ready to use, seemed like a comparable disposer was a little bit pricey.. this is a 1HP unit.

oh 1 HP, then yeah its worth it to fix it

I read there are two bolts at the bottom that hold that switch in place, so far you have been working on the top of the unit?

I took the bottom plastic shell off and all I got to was the motor. Power goes into the bottom of the motor assembly but it looks like the switch must be near the top, probably right under the plastic shell. Maybe this will help, got it from KA's site.

See 14on the diagram, that is the 2 bolts I was describing.

Theres really no information about dissembling this disposal. If those bolts dont do it ill have to opt out for another expert maybe they have a repair manual.

I see what you're talking about but that looks like it would get me to the armature and such. The switch I'm talking about is on the first page, parts 25-29. I'm trying to remove part 18 to get to it.

I believe that would allow you to remove the shell of the disposal. You cant access that switch out removing that part. Also the second page is just a blow up of whats inside of the disposal. I dont see any way to remove the shell from the first page

But ill opt out, hopefully another expert has more insight. I dont weant to waste any more of your time.

Sorry, make that part 17 and maybe 18. I believe it's parts 16 and 19 that are holding part 17 from being lifted off.
Never mind, I got the cover off by pulling the black rubber grommet out, the the cover was able to go over the metal ring/bracket part. I'm still not sure what the small screws I removed are for but the holes are rusted out too badly to reuse.
kingmz
kingmz
kingmz, Home Appliance Technician