Appliance Tech Dave
Appliance Tech Dave, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years experience specializing in Whirlpool, KitchenAid and Kenmore
19941226

KitchenAid refrigerator model KSSO48QMB 02 control panel

Customer Question

KitchenAid refrigerator model KSSO48QMB 02 control panel cycling on and off and beeping. Loses connection somewhere? Where are the control boards and how do I access them to check connections?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Dave replied 2 years ago.

Hello, this is Dave. On a built in like you have the controls are up top behind the grille. Are you saying just the control panel lights and interior lights go out or does the refrigerator cycle off?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Interior lights stay on. Display lights cycle on an off and beeps. Refrigerator cycles on and off with it.

Here is something to try. When it is running properly, disconnect the 3 wire connector at the touch control board inside the refrig section and see if it runs okay that way. The display of course will not light because it is disconnected but see if it continues to run.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How to I get to that connector?

At the back of the display/touchpad there are a few scres. They are near the light bukbs. They hold in the panel.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Got it. Disconnected 3 wire connector. Refrigerator still cycling on and off and beeping.

Okay, with it still disconnected turn off the power for a minute and then back on and see if it is the same.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Did it. Same. Beep seems to indicate it is coming on. But it only stays on for a second or two before stopping again. Constantly trying to turn back on, but then shuts down again.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sometimes it stays on for 5 secs before stopping again.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Again, interior lights will stay on if door opened.

I don't know if it will let use enter diagnostics but we need to try so we are not guessing what is wrong. Turn off the power and then within 13 seconds of turning it back on do this. Press and hold the Water Filter Reset and then almost at the same time press and hold the Power On/Off button and keep holding up to 4 seconds until the refrig display reads 01. That is step 1. The freezer display will give a code at each step. Holding the water filter reset button for 2 seconds will advance steps. If this works go through the first 3 steps and record the freezer display readings.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'll try, but since display keeps going on and off I'm not sure what I'll get.

Yes, I have my doubts this will work but it sounds like the control and they are expensive.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Not getting any reading on the freezer display when I try this. I'll try again.

If you get into diagnostics press the filter reset to see if it advances a step.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Step 3 flashed a 25 in the freezer display. Nothing in steps 1 and 2 though. Does that help?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Went to 4 in refrigerator display. Nothing in freezer display, but no more beeping and it sounds like the refrigerator is running.

No, the freezer should have been either 01 or 02. When we can't do diagnostics I'm always concerned that something is shorted and is causing the problem to look like a control problem. The control is up top and on this model may need to be rebuilt if it is not available. Do you have a meter to do deeper testing?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No. Did I read somewhere about another board somewhere near the meat drawer?What do you make of the fact that it seems to be running smoothly now?

If it is staying on now I don't think it was the top control. The crisper and meat control is the one in the refrigerator. Electronics can be odd and something like a air door or that crisper control could make this happen. Disconnecting parts until we see what allows it to run can be the only way without testing every component with a meter. How long has it been running properly?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Not long. It's back to beeping again. I have to sign off for a while and will have to pick this up later. Thank you for the help!

Okay