Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Whirlpool washer stopped in middle of cycle and we can hear

Customer Question

Whirlpool washer stopped in middle of cycle and we can hear motor running. Cannot open door of machine. Washer is approximately 10years old and stopped in middle of wash cycle. HELP!
We were supposed to leave Tuesday for vacation. Can you solve problem? Might be just the belt for the drum???
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

So your washer is in flood mode. All you need to do is plug the washer in and let it sit for 20 minutes. You might hear a drain pump motor running---that is fine. The washer went into flood mode because it tried to fill too long due to the water supply being cut off. After it finishes the flood sequence the washer should work like normal again. Now if the problem comes back and you're sure that the washer is getting good water supply from both cold and hot water lines, you'll need to replace the electronic water valve because it's just not filling filling properly and it's restricting the flow.

On the other hand, if you let it run for more than 20 minutes and it's still trying to drain, your pressure switch has failed which is located above the tub against the right side wall. This monitors the water level and if it thinks the tub is flooded, it will just keep trying to drain indefinitely even if there really isn't any water left in the tub.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?