Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP
Does it make a humming noise even when the microwave isn't in use?
Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now. Please give me time to respond as typing, researching and adding links takes me time to do so please be patient and often I will ask you questions to narrow down the issue so do not rate me until we are done thanks. So let’s get started!
So it hums and does not heat when you start it correct, but the light and internal fan runs right?
OK that means the magnetron is likely burned out or possibly the diode is shorted to ground. You would have to remove the outer cabinet to the unit to perform some testing and you must be comfortable working around high voltage. If you want to do that I can even guide you through that once you get the outer cabinet off to test the components. That is up to you to decide though.
We are on the honor system for our time, all I ask is please rate my service using the star rating link on your page before you leave. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This is the only way I am paid or credited through the site for my time. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks
Yes I believe the magnetron or diode is bad...this can be an expensive repair maybe $150-200 for parts so you have to decide whether you want to just invest in a new one...these are pretty much throw away units for the most part now.:(
Yes no problem you can come back here to me anytime!
So I'm not sure why the other expert jumped in after I greeted you but since you smell a burning smell the diode is not a possibility. You either have a bad magnetron or a bad transformer. Both parts are rather expensive so I'm not sure if it would be fixing regardless of what part failed, but to know which is your problem, just unplug the magnetron and run a cycle without the magnetron plugged in. If the microwave doesn't have a burning smell without the magnetron plugged in, you need a new magnetron. If you still have a burning smell, you'd need a new transformer.
I responded to you originally and then another tech stepped in and you started talking to him for some reason. I apologize about the confusion but I tried to let you know that that wasn't likely the problem and that your transformer was likely the issue if you were smelling burning smoke.