Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

What is causing the drain hole in my freezer compartment of

Customer Question

What is causing the drain hole in my freezer compartment of my GE Model GTS20INCNWW to freeze over about every month and a half?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.

So yes, you can attach a heat probe if you'd like to make sure that the drain line doesn't freezer over. Before you do that, you'll need to clear the drain and blow compressed air down the drain. The pour some white vinegar down the drain hole to be sure to eat all the grime away in the drain hole.

Cut a solid copper piece of wire about 6 inches long. Wrap it around the defrost heater a couple times just above the drain hole and extend it 2 inches into the defrost drain hole. That will transfer heat into the drain hole when the defrost heater turns on and will prevent the defrost drain line from freezing over in the future.

Also, if you didn't want to use a copper wire, there is an actual kit made which you can wrap around the heater if you wanted to buy the actual kit to perform this task.

CLICK HERE for kit

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.

CLICK HERE for kit

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?