Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Have a refridgerator GE GSS25XSRDSS ser MH420450 needs

Customer Question

Have a refridgerator GE GSS25XSRDSS ser MH420450 needs repair . I'm wondering if it would be better buying new?
Category: Appliance
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Also what year was this refridgerator built?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.

According to the serial number this product was manufactured July of 2005. Now as for your issue, it's probably worth fixing and sounds like it might all be related to the refrigerator getting too cold and freezing things like the water reservoir and such. It's hard to know for certain what has failed, but most likely the damper assembly isn't regulating the temperature properly and the thermistor (thermostat) built into this part isn't reading the temperature properly so the damper assembly will likely need to be replaced. It would cost about $200-250 to have a technician come out and replace this part so at 10 years old I think it's probably still worth fixing for that cost to get another 5 years or so out of the unit hopefully.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?