Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

My frigidare gallery heavy duty extra large capacity washer

Customer Question
Model FWT449GFS0 won't agitate or...
My frigidare gallery heavy duty extra large capacity washer Model FWT449GFS0 won't agitate or spin.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/29/2015
Appliance Technician: Appliance Medic, Home Appliance Technician replied 2 years ago
Appliance Medic
Appliance Medic, Home Appliance Technician

Hi, is the door lock light illuminated? If so, does the door open?

it illuminates and the door does open.

It opens while illuminated correct?

No, it won't open while the light is on.
only after the cycle ends and buzzer sounds
It is just not agitating, and no longer spins. The water still comes in, is drained off. everything else seems fine.

On the bottom right is a board. It's the speed control board. It's going to be the issue. It most likely will have a burn mark on it. You can access the board by removing the bottom two screws on the lower front panel. You will see the board on the back right. It's mounted with a screw and held in by a small slotted piece on the back. Removing the back is more work but makes it easier to see/replace the board. You can purchase the board from any local appliance parts house or sears parts. Also by Clicking Here

We work on the honor system here at Just Answers. Were not credited for our work until you rate our answers positively. After you rate our answers positively the question does not close. You can come back and ask follow up questions for no additional charge.

Thank you

ok. this part is about $360...( I just clicked on the part replacement in your text) If I replace it and it still isn't working, I won't be very thrilled. What happens then? and can it be had cheaper somewhere?
and I am not clear on how this works. If I am going to credit you for this you have to wait until I get the part and replace it correct? Or what?

Yes, it's not cheap. The door lock is working since the door will not open. Take the top off and double check the connections on the timer. On the top right from the front the timer has two big plastic connectors. Make sure the drum did not loosen one of the connectors. If that looks good, the motor control board is going to be the issue. You can double check the motor connection as well. I've seen both the motor connection and timer connection cause this but 99% of the time the board is bad. I would not put $400 into this washer. You can buy a new one for about that.

Thank you

This washer cost $598 when I got it. and pricing comprobable models today said they were running $650 to $700. I don't want a cheaper, lower quality washer. My research also said the new ones are being made to fail sooner, not made well, etc. So putting $350 into it seems like a better move. Your thoughts on that?

I would not put $400 into a Frigidaire gallery front load washer. No way. Not worth it. Bearing issues, pump issues, to old to put that much into. You can get something comparable for $500 click here

I've had it since 98, none of those things have happened, but suppose it could by now. Only washing for two people all these years. So what about the critics saying the washers now are not well made and won't last?

Yes,I know these washers well. Were very popular back in the day. You will not buy another washer that lasts this long. I would not put $400 into this machine either knowing what I know and have seen..

Thank you

ok, thanks. so #1.how do I get back to this conversation, etc to credit you after I think about what I am going to do?
#2 I paid a $5 good faith payment right, not the $45 at this point? And how long do I have to decide to pay that after checking out the issue? When do I pay the other $40?

Log back in. The question does not close. You've only paid the good faith part not the other part. We work on the honor system here.

ok. lastly. I am no stranger to a VOM. is there any test I can do to see if the circuit and board are bad. any particular place to put the leads? I will of course check the other components you mentioned too. A few years back a pump plug came undone and it wouldn't spin.

Yes, test the plug in on the board for 110v when it should be spinning. Take it apart you'll see the tech sheet in the yellow envelope on the side.

Thank you

ok, thanks guess I'm done for now. Just got home from work and dinner is waiting for the last 20 minutes.
Have a good evening, if your time zone is doing that ,,glenn

Thanks you do the same.

Thank you

Appliance Medic
Appliance Medic