Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

My Kenmore side by side fridg is frosting over in the

Customer Question
freezer and the cooler side...
My Kenmore side by side fridg is frosting over in the freezer and the cooler side has dropped to 28 degrees. The temps are turned up max (wARMEST) in both sections with no difference.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Appliance
8/25/2015
Appliance Technician: Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician replied 2 years ago
Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician

Hello from JA
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 35 Years,
and have over 100,000 in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.

Can I please have the Full model number of the unit to better assist you ?
And 56564400 is no a complete Kenmore mode number , I suspect you left off the first three numbers of the model number it should look like this 123 .(###) ###-####/p>

106-56564400

Thank you!

Lets advance the unit into defrost and see if it will go into the defrost mode

Press the On button and the water filter reset button and hold them both for 3 seconds and then program the unit to step 6 by pressing the water filter reset button and once it is in step 6 let it set and open the freezer door to see if you can see a reddish glow in the rear interior panel of the freezer at the bottom and you may hear some sizzling and popping.

Let me know if after about 10 minutes you see the reddish glow or not

I have pressed the on/off button and filter reset buttons and the temps displays turned to 5 (freezer) and 1 (cooler) but pressing the filter reset button further doesn't change anything. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be looking for. Will one of the temp display numbers go to "6"?

are you pressing both at the same time ? or one then the other

I pressed at the same time.

ok lets do this unplug the unit and plug it back in and with in 10 seconds do the button presses again !

If you would and yes the fresh food control should show 1-6 so you know when you have gotten to #6 defrost.

I unplugged and pressed the two button in less than 10 seconds and the displays go to "5" and "1" again and pressing the filter reset button has no affect.

Ok I`m going by what the manufacture shows as how to enter the diagnostics mode.

Remove the lower grill /kick plate and find the tech sheet and see if it shows you a different way to run diagnostics?

The tech sheet should be on the back side of the grill folded up .

I held the reset button for about 3-4 seconds and got the cooler display numbers to advance each time to number 6 now.
Displays now read "5" and "6".

ok great the sheet I have said to hold them Simultaneously , but great that you got it.

Ok so lets wait the 10-15 minutes and see if you hear the popping and sizzling.

No popping and sizzling, but with the door open, the frosted contents are thawing.

ok so then that means one of the three components of the defrost system has failed .

do you have a volt-Ohm meter and know how to use it?

I have a VOM.
I know how to use it too.

Ok You will need to remove EVERYTHING from the lower part of the freezer so you can get to the rear interior panel and remove it.

And have access to the Evaporator coil behind the rear panel .

On top of the coil is the defrost bi-metal it looks like a stack on nickels with two wires on it and it is clamped to the top of the evaporator coil .

One wire goes to the heating element and the other goes to a plug ,remove each of those leads so they are open and ohm out the bi-metal for continuity if it is closed then ohm out the defrost heater itself again only looking for continuity ,no specific value.

OK. I'll start working on that now.

this video should help you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6YmGs6NaNo

the video is not an exact match to your model the video just gives you the general idea

The bi-metal devise is open. No continuity. The defrost heater is OK. A little resistance. I have removed the bi-metal and will look for a new one.

Would you like the part number?

It was easy for me to get ,here it is if you need it.

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Defrost-Thermostat/W10225581/1872722?rcaid=1000070

If you have any questions just reply back.

There are lots of numbers on the device. If you have a number, I would appreciate it. The coils were not iced over but the drain port in the bottom was iced over and there was a 1/2 of ice on the floor of the freezer. Would that bi-metal sensor cause the freezer to keep getting colder including the cooler side?

The bi-metal only effect the defrost length of time the heater is heating .

But if the coil has enough ice or frost on it to restrict air flow then yes it will effect the fresh food section and freezer both cooling.

It ill be more noticeable in the freezer first.

The new defrost thermostat seems to have fixed all the problems. Thank you for your help.

Ok but it will take more then just a few hours for you to be able to tell or not!!

Hi again. Unfortunately the problem is not fixed. The temperatures for both the freezer and cooler are set for the warmest settings but the meat and vegetable drawers are below freezing the freezer temp is below zero. It is like the refrigerator thermostat is not working and the freezer continues to run continuously. The drain at the bottom of the cooling coils gets plugged with ice (runoff from the defroster coil) because the freezer temp is too low for it to drain before before it refreezes.

Ok I did not think that the defrost bi-metal would fix the issue .

If you are having a too cold issue in the fresh food section or as you call it the cooler.

I have to suspect your issue is the main control board in the control panel in the fresh food section.

and it will need to be replaced. it is the brain of the entire unit.

I show the parts info here .

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Main-Control-Board/8201660/1059845?rcaid=1000070

I ordered the part with the link you provided above, but delivery date is not expected until the end of Sept or early Oct. I'll just turn the unit off for overnight periods to keep the excessive cooling to a minimum. Thanks.

Ok no problem ,good luck1

Regarding the Kenmore refer problems, I ordered the control panel which was back ordered and I was notified it will be here late next week. I am a little bit concerned that it might not fix the problem of the defrost drain tray at the bottom of the freezer coils continually freezing up. I have defrosted and removed the ice until the melted water drains out the drain port to the tray under the frige. In the parts list, I don't see a valve associated with that drain, but could there be something that freezes over quickly to prevent tray from becoming a drain block? The new control panel should clear up the over cooling that occurs, but will it resolve the drain port freezing problem?

there is no valve on the drain it is just a gravity drain .

If the drain hole is also freezing over you will need to clear the freezer drain hole out with hot water and a turkey baster.

The manufacture has a kit to stop that from freezing over by radiating heat from the defrost heater into the drain hole .

The kit is part number 819043

Thanks. I'll look into the manufacturers part to radiate heat. I used the turkey baster and boiling water to clear it twice now, but it refreezes each time after about 24 hours.

Yes you need something in that hole to radiate the heat down inside that hole.

If you need me again for any other issues you can request me Whrlp Master Tech.

And Even after you rate me Today if you have a question just reply back to me,
I will still assist you, no extra charges .
But rating me is the ONLY way I get paid for my time.

Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech