Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a Frigidaire upright freezer (PLFU1778ESO) that is

Customer Question

good morning. I have a Frigidaire upright freezer (PLFU1778ESO) that is not sealing correctly. I have replaced the door seal with no improvement. Is there a vacuum system that might have failed?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.

So to start, there is not a vacuum system, but can you explain what you mean by it's not sealing correctly? What are you seeing exactly?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The door doesn't seal anymore and there is ice and frost building up in different spots around the door where it isn't sealing. The door used to be somewhat difficult to open but now it clearly isn't making a tight seal.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.

OK so it sounds like you just need to form the door seal since you have already replaced it. You'll need to use a hair dryer and heat up the door seal all the way around for about an hour or so. All the wrinkles should be removed and the seal should be very pliable. After this, close the door and heat up the door seal again all the way around especially where you see any gaps. Heat it up until it touches the frame of the freezer all the way around. Then leave the door shut for about 4-6 hours to allow the seal to cool and set. After that you should be good to go again.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry, I have been working on other projects. I will try that and let you know.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.

OK good luck