Tom Goellner, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  32 yrs. experience servicing major appliances and HVAC equipment.
6636336

Air conditioning: We have a new energy efficient window air

Customer Question

Air conditioning: We have a new energy efficient window air conditioner. We also have two fans we run most of the time instead of it however it is getting hotter and I would like to use the air conditioner more. My husband doesn't want to run the electricity
bill up tho so we have been using it sparingly. What is the difference between running 2 fans all the time and using this air conditioner without the fans on? If that is not economical what would be the most efficient and cheapest way to utilize this air conditioner
to keep comfortable in this heat?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tom Goellner replied 2 years ago.

If it is that hot , you have no choice but to run the air conditioner ( that's why you have it ) and it will use more electric than two fans. You haven't told me enough to tell how much more , but there should be a tag on the air conditioner that either tells the amperage or the watts the unit uses , or in the owners manual. What size is the air conditioner ( the btu's ) is it plugged in to a normal 115 volt outlet or is it 230 volt ?