Appliance Tech Dave
Appliance Tech Dave, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years experience specializing in Whirlpool, KitchenAid and Kenmore
19941226

My dryer won't start. everything looks normal, but when I

Customer Question

My dryer won't start. everything looks normal, but when I press and hold the start button, it dose nothing
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.

do u have a make and model? is there any noise when trying to start the dryer? thx

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Whirlpool WGD9600TA0 s/n-MU3601720
No noise.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you need anything else ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you still there ???
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.

sorry , i stepped out for awhile ..you have lites inside the dryer ? some form of power to it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
all looks normal
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.

ok , that is usually a thermal fuse , if the power and everything else looks normal ? the hermal fuse can go and disable the machine , it is on the blower housing and can be checked for continuity if you have a meter ?

Thermal Fuse

RepairClinic Item # *****

Watch Video:

Skill Level: Skill Level

Thermal fuse. If the dryer overheats, this device stops the flow of electricity to the heat source and/or the entire dryer. It is located on the blower housing and cannot be reset. The most common cause for overheating is a vent tube clogged with lint, a birds nest or other debris.

OEM Part - Manufacturer #3392519

Related Items:

Suggested tools:

$10.70

Quantity:

In Stock

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will test the Thermal Fuse. Thx
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.

as a test you can unplug the unit and join the two wires of the thermal fuse and test if you dont have a meter ..its ok just as a test

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, thx. I do have a meter, but that will also prove if it is the thermal fuse
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.
ok sounds good , let me know if any problems ,randy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I checked the thermal fuse and it was ok. Some of the error codes and testing indicated the Machine Control Board which I replaced at $ 227.00 but that did not fix it either.
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.

does it beep at you when you try and start it ? does the door switch have that click to it when you push it by hand?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when I push the Power button on the left it powers up. When I push the Start button on the right, it does nothing, NO beeps. It does recognize when I open the door. The door switch does click when I push it by hand.
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.

if its not starting ,its usually the thermal fuse or door switch ,seems like those are ok by what you are saying ,i dont have any more ideas ,ill opt out and hopefully another tech has some info ..ill repost your question

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will recheck the thermal fuse or jumper it and check again. thx
Expert:  Appliance Tech Dave replied 1 year ago.

Hello, this is Dave. On a gas dryer the thermal fuse will only stop it from heating if it is bad so that is not your problem. There is a broken belt switch that stops it from running if the belt breaks or comes off. Does the belt look okay?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there more than one belt ? The main belt that turns the drum seem ok and it does run the drum during one of the tests.

The dryer did run in a test? I thought that it wouldn't start?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It will not start when I press and hold the start button, but when doing some of the tests on the "For Service Technician's use only" Tech sheet, it did start turning the drum and heating and putting moisture in the drum.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I first activated the Service Diagnostic Test Mode, it did have an Active Fault code of "F:01" which is a Primary Control Fauilure..."Replace the machine control board. Which I did at $227. But that got rid of the codes but is still does not start when "Start" is pressed.

Did you do the button test #7 to see if all the buttons work? If the motor runs in test we know the motor, door switch, belt switch are good. You already replaced the main control on the left side under the top. There is nothing left except the front electronics.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
during the test of the buttons, the start button will stay lit and will not beep, but when I press the others they will beep and turn different lights on and off.

Looks like a bad right side control where that start button is located. You are holding the start button for a few seconds to get it to start?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when I press the others they will beep and turn different lights on and off, except when I press the start button. It will stay lit and no beep.

And that is in a way the most important button but my point was during normal operation you need to hold the start button for a few seconds for the dryer to start. This is done for safety. You are holding it down for a few seconds?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
for up to a minute...

Right, well it is not making contact. The bad news is that control is expensive.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The front console electronics do not seem to be available. The only place I found was a place to repair it for $150.

If we are talking about the right side control I show it as W10294708. I see it on eBay for $69.98 used.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That does not seem to be the correct part. I am looking for the one in the center # ***** on a parts drawing for model WGD9600TA0.

Ah, yes that control does need to be rebuilt.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ARRRGGHHH

Agreed, sorry for the bad news.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Looks like they are saying to replace the Center and the right side boards together in a kit. maybe W10294708......

Right, that is the part number I gave you earlier but the used one on eBay is only the right side. The new kit is both.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** have to see where I can find both as a kit. Thanks for your help.

You are welcome!