Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My ge refrigerator model pfs22misbww wasn't holding the

Customer Question

john - my ge refrigerator model pfs22misbww wasn't holding the temperatures in the freezer or top area well. I cleaned out any dirt on the coils, the fan runs good, etc. so I ordered a new main board and installed it....now I can't get the unit to cool at all.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.

The first thing you'll need to do is pull everything out of the freezer and remove the back panel inside the freezer. Look at the silver evaporator coils behind this panel and are the packed with frost, lightly frosted from top to bottom, some frost on top but not on bottom, not frost at all, etc... ? Also, is the fan above the coils running?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The fan is running, unfortunately there is no frost on the coils at all. I ordered a new main board and replaced it out - no differences with either board.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.

OK if the fan is running and the coils aren't frosted, pull the refrigerator forward and remove the lower back access panel behind the refrigerator. Is the fan next to the compressor running? And if you touch the big black round compressor is it warm, blazing hot, or room temperature?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Fan is running... room temperature on the compressor - no heat at all. No cold on the coils either.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.

OK then your have a bad relay on your main control board not sending power to the compressor. This is probably the most common way that this refrigerator fails, but the main control board behind the 8" x 10" sheet metal panel on the back of the refrigerator will need to be ordered and replaced to fix the issue. Below is a link to the part.

CLICK HERE for control board

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Tyler - I have that new main board in my possession that you stated and I replaced it on the refrigerator...no change.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.

Then the board came faulty or the compressor is bad and would need to be replaced. You'd need to test power between COMP and LINE on the board to ground and if you have 120 volts on both, then you need a new compressor. If you only have 120 volts on LINE but not COMP, then you got a bad control board.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thanks for your help...
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.

Sorry about the bad news today.