Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

Our Profile refrigerator was warm on Friday morning. I put

Customer Question

Our Profile refrigerator was warm on Friday morning. I put it on turbo-cool and by noon it was back to 1 degree for the freezer and 37 for the refrigerator. We went off for the weekend around 4 o'clock and the temperature was still the same and the refrigerator seemed to be working fine. Now arrive home and the refrigerator is making a loud noise and the temperatures are 26 and 53. What should we do?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.

what sort of noise? loud hum or buzzing every few minutes? how old is the fridge ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Loud hum. The refrigerator is two years old.
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.

does it click off then come back a few minutes later? or a continuous hum ? any frost buildup in the freezer section against the rear panel ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is a continuous hum. There is a solid cover of ice over the rear panel.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! The ice is the problem, the noise is the result of the evaporator fan blade hitting the ice. So, you have a defrost problem. There are several components in the defrost circuit, but the most common to be problematic is the defrost heater. It is mounted below the evaporator coil, behind the rear panel inside the freezer. It is a glass tube heater and easily broken. Do you have a meter to test it with and are you able to disassemble the freezer section?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The refrigerator switched off for a couple of hours and then came back on. I put it on turbocool and now it has gone down to my setting of 0 degree and 37 degrees and has stayed there ever since. I just do not know how long it will be before there is another sudden warm up........
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

That is an electronic control problem. How often does this happen?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It happened twice in two days. It is still staying at 0 degrees and 37!! Hoping it will keep working!!!
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Great, keep me posted!