Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Ice maker quit after water filter change. tryed to warm the

Customer Question
small gray tube at top...
ice maker quit after water filter change. tryed to warm the small gray tube at top of unit with hair dryer. there is 1/3 full cube in mold. wife said she did run lots of water after filter change, but should have turned ice maker to off while filter changing
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Appliance
8/16/2015
Appliance Technician: Appliance Medic, Home Appliance Technician replied 2 years ago
Appliance Medic
Appliance Medic, Home Appliance Technician

The 1/3 ice in the mold is most likely going to be the issue. It's not allowing the fingers to rotate inside the mold. It happens because of low pressure. You can either defrost the ice maker mold with the blow dryer or completely remove the ice maker and thaw it out. I would remove it and thaw it out under hot water.

We work on the honor system here at Just Answers. Were not credited for our work until you rate our answers positively. After you rate our answers positively the question does not close. You can come back and ask follow up questions for no additional charge.

Thank you

thanks for you response, how do you remove the ice make mold.

You're most welcome. The mold is part of the ice maker. You have to remove the ice maker assembly. The mold is the part the water sits in and turns to ice. During low pressure not enough water makes it to the ice maker and the fingers that turn to harvest the ice from the mold freeze. It's a fairly common issue.

Thank you

Looking at the ice maker unit, I see a phillps head screw above in middle & two of the same type painted white under unit on left and right. Should I do something special to the refrigerator before starting to remove unit, remove power cord, etc.?

Yes, those are the screws it sounds like. You can unplug it. The ice maker has a plug and play connection on it once it comes down.

Thank you

I removed unit. Warm water, dry it completely. reinstalled. Toggle switch is still off. Need I do something special or just toggle power in on. What did I do incorrect with the filter change to cause the problem in the first place?
Did not here from you , so I turned in back on. Now no ice- no water in mold.

Pour a small amount of water into the mold. Does it freezes and dump the ice into the bin?

Appliance Medic
Appliance Medic