MRANSWER
MRANSWER, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 YRS EXP. FACTORY TRAINED AND AUTHORIZED ON ALL MAJOR BRANDS
13971964

I have a kitchen aid refrigerator, two years old. Freezer

Customer Question

I have a kitchen aid refrigerator, two years old. Freezer drawer on the bottom. Ice is forming under the pull out racks. 1/2 " thick. I removed two weeks ago and it is back!!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  MRANSWER replied 2 years ago.

The drain that the defrost water normally drains thru is frozen, so the water runs where you see it now forming into ice.

The permanent solution to this is to replace the drain tube assembly which is not hard to do as it is accessed from the rear.

You need to melt the ice away that is clogging the drain by either spraying water on it or letting this stay off for an extended period of time, or by anything else that you want to use. There is no trick to melting ice.

I do not know what you are capable of doing, so post back if you need more on this. IF NOT then a rating is appreciated for the response.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can I just defrost the freezer and solve the problem without replacing the tube?
Expert:  MRANSWER replied 2 years ago.

That will work, but the tube will typically freeze up again sooner or later and cause the same issue if it is not replaced.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Excellent! I will try to defrost and then have someone move fridge out and replace tube. Thank you Sylvia
Expert:  MRANSWER replied 2 years ago.

Ok. A rating is appreciated for the help. Post back if you need anything else on this. Thanks