How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask MRANSWER Your Own Question
MRANSWER, Home Appliance Technician
Category: Appliance
Satisfied Customers: 6160
Type Your Appliance Question Here...
MRANSWER is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a kitchen aid refrigerator, two years old. Freezer

Customer Question

I have a kitchen aid refrigerator, two years old. Freezer drawer on the bottom. Ice is forming under the pull out racks. 1/2 " thick. I removed two weeks ago and it is back!!
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  MRANSWER replied 2 years ago.

The drain that the defrost water normally drains thru is frozen, so the water runs where you see it now forming into ice.

The permanent solution to this is to replace the drain tube assembly which is not hard to do as it is accessed from the rear.

You need to melt the ice away that is clogging the drain by either spraying water on it or letting this stay off for an extended period of time, or by anything else that you want to use. There is no trick to melting ice.

I do not know what you are capable of doing, so post back if you need more on this. IF NOT then a rating is appreciated for the response.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can I just defrost the freezer and solve the problem without replacing the tube?
Expert:  MRANSWER replied 2 years ago.

That will work, but the tube will typically freeze up again sooner or later and cause the same issue if it is not replaced.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Excellent! I will try to defrost and then have someone move fridge out and replace tube. Thank you Sylvia
Expert:  MRANSWER replied 2 years ago.

Ok. A rating is appreciated for the help. Post back if you need anything else on this. Thanks