Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician
Experience:  30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line
16832328

Whirlpool cabrio model wtw5600xw3 should I be able to spin

Customer Question

Whirlpool cabrio model wtw5600xw3 should I be able to spin the basket by hand? The machine will not go into the spin mode. I am wondering if the motor or gearbox is locked up.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 2 years ago.

Hello from JA
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 35 Years,
and have over 100,000 in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.

No if the machine is stopped you will NOT be able to turn the inner basket by hand.

When it should be spinning does the motor run?

Are you seeing any blinking lights ? as in an error code?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No blinking lights. It just seems to stop when it gets to the spin cycle
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It does not seem that the motor is running or trying to run. I have not been able to catch it right when it happens.

ok you say it just seems to stop when it gets to the spin cycle .

Stop how does the entire machine go off or does the washer just stop still showing lights on the console?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It just stops, showing the lights as in a normal wash cycle but does not spin

ok so the motor is not running in the spin mode ,the control acts as if the unit is still working .

Does it do this in every wash cycle or just one of them?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have used a few different wash modes to see if it would run correctly. The spin cycle did not work in the different settings

ok so each time it just stops and the control looks as if it is working correct?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Do you have a Volt -ohm meter and know how to use it ?

to be able to do any voltage testing

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The last time I tried it water stayed in the tub. But as soon as I pressed the off button the pump engaged and drained the tub. The only thing that is seems that is not working is the spin cycle

to be able to do any voltage testing

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have a meter. And have used one before. My meter is in my tool box at work. Not here with me. Give me the information as to what and where to test. I will have to do it tomorrow.

ok are you 100% sure that the unit does agitate?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I can't say 100% but feel comfortable that it does

I was going to have you test fro voltage to the motor in the spin cycle but it is the same motor drive the unit for agitation and for spin .

And if you do not hear the motor running when it should be spinning ,then I have to assume you have a glitch in the electronic control board software.

The link below is to the part you will need from a highly recommended company rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau.
They offer a 100% money back guarantee, EVEN ON INSTALLED ELECTRICAL PARTS, for an entire year!
They are the only company to allow returns on installed parts for a refund and offer a FULL ONE YEAR WARRANTY!

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Main-Control-Board/W10480108/2312652

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay, before I buy a control board, I will meter the motor and see what readings I get. One thing I will not do is dump a lot of money in this machine. Considering all of the negative comments I have seen on the internet I am not sure it's worth it.
Thank you.

no need to test the motor because it does work in agitation

And yes this is by no means Whirlpools best design washer they have ever produced

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It is a lot like what Repair at work. Over engineered.

well this took the place of the best washer they ever built ,but they could not sell the old model any longer thanks to the new EPA energy guidelines .

and is a POS it has had all kinds of issues , electronic control . electrical harness issues .

I see you have not rated me as of yet!
Even after you rate me if you have a question just reply back to me,
I will still assist you ,but rating me is the ONLY way I get paid for my time