Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Kenmore 70 Series washing machine - model: 20712990.

Customer Question
Purchased new 12/2000. Today...
Kenmore 70 Series washing machine - model: 20712990. Purchased new 12/2000. Today it stopped mid cycle - I was in the kitchen and heard it make a strange "stopping noise" and went to investigate. It was making a humming noise and I immediately unplugged it since there was a faint burning smell. I made sure nothing in the load was caught in the agitator. I left it unplugged for about 10 minutes and turned it back on to mid cycle and the machine doesn't do anything except hum. Good news is that it's not an electrical issue?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Appliance
8/11/2015
Appliance Technician: Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician replied 2 years ago
Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician

Hello from JA
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 35 Years,
and have over 100,000 in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.

Can I please have the Full model number of the unit to better assist you ?
And 20712990 is NOT the full number I suspect you have left the first three printed numbers off from the tag.

Full model number: 110. 20712990
Sorry about that!

just because you hear a hum does not mean it is NOT an electrical issue.

Does the unit have any water in it at this time?

It is still full of water and clothes.

if you set it on drain /spin will it then run?

I tries to jerk or start up again when I set it to rinse.

Not rinse,,BUT Drain /spin you need to set it on to see if it will then run.

no luck on drain or spin.

does it hum on drain /spin ?

And do you have the lid closed?

Lid is closed - it hums on drain/spin and tries to jerk and do something on rinse.

ok You will need to remove the cabinet so you can see the unit to see what it is doing .

Here is a video showing you how this is done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Puq8jWMY9Iw

John, Home Appliance Technician