Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician
Experience:  30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line
16832328

Whirlpool refrigerator; fan is humming/vibrating?

Customer Question

Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 2 years ago.

Hello from JA
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 35 Years,
and have over 100,000 in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.

Can I please have the Full model number of the unit to better assist you ?
open the fresh food door it will be on the right side interior wall

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
W10208431A

I`m sorry to say that is NOT a whirlpool model number , did you find the model and serial tag in the fresh food section ? it should be the right side interior wall up near the top

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
GB9FHDXWB02
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This is starting to get annoying and making me wish I had NOT bothered with your service.

Why is it annoying?

Did you think I could answer your question with out you giving me any type of information?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
You guys just keep asking for more money and don't simply reply to my initial question even after I gave you the model # ***** GB9FHDXWB02.

this model has two fan on under the unit (the condenser fan ) and one in the freezer ( the evaporator fan ) which fan is it?

You are not the only customer that I`m assisting today either!

And I as the appliance expert do not ask for money at all that is the web site we are using.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The one in the Freezer.

ok if you look at the freezer rear interior wall do you see any frost or ice on the rear wall?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I already cleaned it off.

ok how did you clean it off? and did you remove the rear interior freezer rear panel ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
With a rag and no I didn't take it off.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
As in I did NOT take the panel off

ok so you did not clear the largest portion of the ice.

If you remove everything out of the freezer and remove that rear interior panel I think you will find it just covered in ice to the point that the fan may be blocked with the ice.

Which would mean the unit has a defrost issue.

And if it is packed with ice and frost lets run a manual defrost cycle to see if it will defrost .

here is howto manually advance your unit into defrost .

But do not do this until you remove that rear interior wall and look to see if the ice is blocking the fan blade from turning .

Forced Defrost Mode: The forced defrost function is performed using the refrigerator display and keypad.

Enter the Forced Defrost Mode by performing the following sequence of events:

1. Hold the refrigerator door light switch closed.

2. Press the Refrigerator Temperature DOWN /- keypad 3 times consecutively. Note: The 3 keystrokes must be consecutive and within 10 seconds.

3. Release the refrigerator door light switch.

4. The control will display F- d to confirm entry into the Forced Defrost Mode.

5. Entry is confirmed by pressing the Refrigerator Temperature DOWN /- key once more. The unit is off and in the Defrost Mode.

Note: All control functions will be turned off (Compressor, Defrost, Evaporator Fan, the damper will remain in its current position).

6. The control will default to the short run period test.

Note: You can toggle between the S Short and L Long test mode by pressing the Refrigerator Temperature UP /+ Key. Long Test mode is used for factory test and should not be used in the field.

7. Once the desired mode is displayed, confirm the forced defrost by pressing the Refrigerator Temperature DOWN /- Key once. The defrost will begin immediately and the display will return to a normal operating display with set point values.

8. Close the Refrigerator door(s). You are in the defrost mode. Note: Forced Defrost mode can be exited at any time prior to step 7 by closing the Refrigerator Door(s).

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I think I am in DEFROST MODE, when will this stop?

defrost mode will turn everything off (both fans and the compressor under the unit) and defrost lasts for approx 21 minutes

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
THEN the humming should stop?

yes if the humming is from the fan when it goes into a defrost mode the fan will stop getting voltage .

and that is to also say if when you manually advance the unit into defrost that it actully goes into defrost!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It is IN defrost right now, hoping this works within the next 15 - 20 mins

Did you remove the panel and look at the fan and or fan blade BEFORE advancing the unit into defrost As advised?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
blocked right up

ok sop then lets let it set for the 20 ish minutes to see if it does defrost.

you should be able to see the defrost heater glowing red and hear the water dripping on the hot heating element in 10-15 min of defrost operation

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
hot heating element???

yes in defrost mode the defrost heating element should be energized under the silver

Evaporator coil on the rear wall of the freezer AFTER the rear interior panel has been removed.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That didn't happen and now humming is LOUDER?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
there is more defrost in back of freezer?

What do you mean (And there is more defrost in back of freezer?)?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

are you reading my posts?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How do I release the top pull out rack in the freezer?

Are you talking about item # ***** ?

http://c.searspartsdirect.com/lis_png/PLDM/W1008201-00006.png

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The top pull out tray that has the ice bucket/tray nestled in it.

this should help you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UB7jPvwUrw

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Took along while as all where totally frozen solid. I have it all apart and am going to let it thaw naturally while I get some sleep, hopefully 5 hours, get up slap it back together for the night as I work 3rd shift. THEN put it all back together when I get home in the morning.

Ok that is fine but did the unit going to defrost when you manually advanced it into the defrost mode?

And putting it back together or turning it off will get rid of the ice but will not fix the issue if it is not defrosting automatically.