Appliance Tech Dave
Appliance Tech Dave, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years experience specializing in Whirlpool, KitchenAid and Kenmore
19941226

Kitchenaid refrigerator (KBFS22EWMS9) temp not going down?

Customer Question

My Kitchenaid refrigerator (Model KBFS22EWMS9) should be at 38 degrees but i noticed this morning it felt warm and saw it was 57 degrees. Freezer drawer section seems to be fine. How can I get the refrigerator temp to go down?

Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Dave replied 1 year ago.

In the back of the freezer section on the rear wall is there frost? Normal would be just enough to make a mark with your finger nails.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Dave...I can make a mark with my finger nail on rear wall of freezer section but it looks like there is some frost developing toward the bottom of wall on the vents causing the vents to be covered...

If the frost is thicker than a film and you can see heavy frost in the slots at the bottom you have a defrost problem. This is often the defrost limiter. You would need to remove the back wall to get to that part. How much did you want to do yourself? You would need a meter to test the limiter for continuity.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The temp in the refrigerator read 65 degrees this morning. If there is a defrost problem, would that cause the refrigerator to not cool? Do you recommend that I have a professional look at this? If so, is there someone you can recommend in the area?

Yes, there is only one cooling coil to cool the refrigerator and the freezer. If the coils get blocked with frost it will stop cooling the refrigerator and the freezer will begin to warm as well. There is an air damper in the back upper portion of the refrigerator. It is in that half circle area. If it fails to open the freezer will be fine and the refrigerator will warm. The louvered cover pops off and there are screws behind to remove the cover and check the air door.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry Dave...it's been a crazy week. The freezer is starting to get very frosty or icy in the back. The freezer is starting to warm. but now the refrigerator is cooler.
I tried to get the louvered cover you mentioned at the back of refrigerator up above top shelf but it's really hard to pull off and I'm afraid if I keep pulling at it, it's going to break. Is it okay to keep trying?
sorry to bother you with these questions...

Here is how to remove the louver. Use a small screwdriver to pry up on the bottom of the center part with the slots and pull it off. With the louver removed you will see the air door. Is it open or closed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is open...
what's next?
Sorry for the delay. For some reason I didn't get a reply automatically. If the air door is open but you aren't getting much if any air it means the coiling coils in the back of the rear white cover in the freezer are block with frost. You have a defrost problem and it is usually the defrost thermostat.