How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Appliance Tech Dave Your Own Question
Appliance Tech Dave
Appliance Tech Dave, Home Appliance Technician
Category: Appliance
Satisfied Customers: 2610
Experience:  30 years experience specializing in Whirlpool, KitchenAid and Kenmore
Type Your Appliance Question Here...
Appliance Tech Dave is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My control panel is discontinued and nonexistent on the

Customer Question

My control panel is discontinued and nonexistent on the internet. I was shipped a similar control panel that is the wrong size as well but the center section with the touchpad on it is the same size. There are no screws to remove that center section of the control panel, but I am betting that the keypad will work on my oven.(it is exactly the same except for the convection button, which I don't need). Do you know if it is possible to remove that center section (membrane with ribbon cable)? I don't want to destroy a $200 part, but mine is definitely not available. thanks!
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Dave replied 1 year ago.

Hello, this is Dave. Did you get just the flexible section with the touch pads?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The control panel is mostly a long hard plastic piece with the touchpad section in the middle. Google it Whirlpool part #4451345
Expert:  Appliance Tech Dave replied 1 year ago.

I understand but I thought you were asking if you could replace just the center touch pad portion that has the ribbon cable that goes to the control.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I added a picture file to show the new control panel that I received and the old one. The new one is shorter & is one button shy(convection) I need to know if it's possible to take the keypad off of one & put on the other? Thank you
Expert:  Appliance Tech Dave replied 1 year ago.

Now I understand, you want to transfer the touchpad from one to the other. The touch pad is held in place with adhesive to the plastic frame. While it is possible to separate it from the frame there is a good chance you will destroy it in the process. The problem is that you would need to flex it too much as you peel it away. It is made in layers of mylar with silver traces in between. When you distort the layers it is likely that one or more of the contacts would get stuck closed. At one time they furnished just the touch pad with a peel and stick back, (which is what you have already assembled) but they stopped this because too many got damaged it they were not keep flat. Sorry for the bad news.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dave may I ask your opinion on just one other alternative that I have. If I bought the exact same control panel, as the old one that I have, but it was for a double oven, do you think that it would work with only a single oven? And would it be safe?
Expert:  Appliance Tech Dave replied 1 year ago.

That gets into the engineering level and no one here will be able to answer that question. The control board is different and the touch pad would be different but if it uses the same number of pins on the ribbon cable.....???? The best answer is maybe but it would be an expensive experiment.