Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

My control panel is discontinued and nonexistent on the

Customer Question
internet. I was shipped a...
My control panel is discontinued and nonexistent on the internet. I was shipped a similar control panel that is the wrong size as well but the center section with the touchpad on it is the same size. There are no screws to remove that center section of the control panel, but I am betting that the keypad will work on my oven.(it is exactly the same except for the convection button, which I don't need). Do you know if it is possible to remove that center section (membrane with ribbon cable)? I don't want to destroy a $200 part, but mine is definitely not available. thanks!
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Appliance
8/8/2015
Appliance Technician: Appliance Tech Dave, Home Appliance Technician replied 2 years ago
Appliance Tech Dave
Appliance Tech Dave, Home Appliance Technician

Hello, this is Dave. Did you get just the flexible section with the touch pads?

The control panel is mostly a long hard plastic piece with the touchpad section in the middle. Google it Whirlpool part #4451345

I understand but I thought you were asking if you could replace just the center touch pad portion that has the ribbon cable that goes to the control.

I added a picture file to show the new control panel that I received and the old one. The new one is shorter & is one button shy(convection) I need to know if it's possible to take the keypad off of one & put on the other? Thank you

Now I understand, you want to transfer the touchpad from one to the other. The touch pad is held in place with adhesive to the plastic frame. While it is possible to separate it from the frame there is a good chance you will destroy it in the process. The problem is that you would need to flex it too much as you peel it away. It is made in layers of mylar with silver traces in between. When you distort the layers it is likely that one or more of the contacts would get stuck closed. At one time they furnished just the touch pad with a peel and stick back, (which is what you have already assembled) but they stopped this because too many got damaged it they were not keep flat. Sorry for the bad news.

Dave may I ask your opinion on just one other alternative that I have. If I bought the exact same control panel, as the old one that I have, but it was for a double oven, do you think that it would work with only a single oven? And would it be safe?

That gets into the engineering level and no one here will be able to answer that question. The control board is different and the touch pad would be different but if it uses the same number of pins on the ribbon cable.....???? The best answer is maybe but it would be an expensive experiment.

Appliance Tech Dave
Appliance Tech Dave