Appliance Medic
Appliance Medic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Factory Trained CFC Technician
13570846

I bought the refrigerator used but told by the owner it was

Customer Question

I bought the refrigerator used but told by the owner it was only used for one year. Everything worked fine for three weeks. Now the ice cube compartment in the refrigerator is leaking water out the door.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Medic replied 2 years ago.

Hi, where exactly do you see the water coming from? From the ice bucket inside the refrigerator?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's a french door refrigerator and the ice cube compartment is in the refrigerator part. It coming from where the ice is made. I pulled out the ice cube bucket and took some pictures. Also, you will see that the bucket has ice on the bottom instead of ice cubes. I can't figure out what is causing it.

That's not good. It's looks like the fill tube is frozen partially or the fill tray on the ice maker is partially blocked not allowing the water to flow properly.

On the left side is a small hole. Insert a flat head and pry and pull. The side trim piece will come off. You can then depress the tab on the left and slide it out. You will have to remove the wire connections on the left side once the trim piece comes off. You will find the issue with the fill line. The filter or water valve will most likely need to be replaced to fix the issue.

We work on the honor system here at Just Answers. Were not credited for our work until you rate our answers positively. After you rate our answers positively the question does not close. You can come back and ask follow up questions for no additional charge.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, I'm not home now I will check it out later. Thanks.

Thanks

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, I took out the entire ice maker and thawed it. Also, I changed the water filter. Since Friday it's only made approximately 25 ice cubes. I purchase the water valve but have not installed it. Do you think it's the ice maker, water valve or something else? Please let me know. Thanks.

Based on the pictures I would suspect the valve is the issue.