Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

PLEASE IGNORE FIRST PICTURE..

Customer Question

PLEASE IGNORE FIRST PICTURE.. CANNOT GET RID OF IT

I have a tenant who states she must put the refrigerator setting to its highest level (7) to get it to keep thing cold but itactually freezes things intermitently. If she brings it down even to six (6) things don'tconsistently stay cold. She is in an awkward situation. Ihad a mechaniccomeby and fix the stove, and look at frig.He said he opened the door because she had it closed and that should have solved it. I did not understand what he meant and I could not get a better explaination. Ihave attached pictures. it isa model xf28pw5dtc.

Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! I suspect there is a damper door that may be closed or frozen over. Can you hear a fan running in the freezer section? Can you see any frost on the back wall inside the freezer?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no it is not frozen

Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.

The fan needs to be running, it is part number SB914266 but is showing as no longer available.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Are you saying that the fan motoris broken and that there is no motor to replace, or fix it?

Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.

The fan motor heeds to run to circulate the air. It is either not getting power or is faulty. I suspect the motor is bad but you can test it with a meter. If it has voltage, it is faulty with no recommended replacement.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

And what if it does not have voltage?

Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.

If it does not have voltage, you have a broken wire somewhere.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So then what if there is a wire issue? and if it does have power then what can I do? are there any ways to buy another device or must I buy a new frig, or is it repairable?

Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.

Wiring issues are either very easy to spot, like a broken wire, or very difficult (near impossible), like inside the cabinet walls. If you do have power, you will need to locate a generic motor that may work. If that is the case, I may be able to help you if you post several pictures of the motor.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Can you give me a schematic of the refrigerator, with specific refernce to the motor you are talking about so I can see specifically where it is. What type of tool do I need to remove it? Should I take a picture of it first ? Please identify where it is and what I must do?

Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.

Number 8 in the diagram at the link below.

CLICK HERE

Test for 120 VAC between the two wires that go to the motor.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So I need to remove the back panel to get to it, and I must use a multi meter? What SETTINGS AM I Using ON A multi meter? If the issue is intermittent, as described, how will I know for sure ?