Rick
Rick, Repair Guy
Experience:  25 years service experience as a technician. Experienced on both high end and regular appliances.
15929851

I have a Thermador PG-366BS/12 where the oven no longer

Customer Question

I have a Thermador PG-366BS/12 where the oven no longer ignites because of no gas. The burners on the rangetop work fine (gas and ignition) but neither the bake nor broil has gas flow in the oven (i.e., I do not smell gas when I turn on the oven). The
oven worked fine when I was baking something at 500 degrees but then when I tried to turn the oven back on, it no longer worked. I removed the bottom plate to expose the burning element and I held a butane lighter to see if there was gas flow but there was
nothing. I used a toothpick to see if there was anything blocking gas flow but it seems to be clean. Thanks in advance for your help.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! The most common cause of no oven heat is weak igniters. The glow igniters must draw at least 3.1 amps of current through the gas valve to open the valve. When they get weak, they will still glow red but not draw ample current. Do you see the igniters glowing when the oven is turned on?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, I do not see anything glowing when I turn on the oven. I think the issue that there is no gas coming into the oven. I removed the bottom cover to expose the burners and held a butane lighter directly to the burner to try to ignite the gas manually. It did not light and there is no smell of gas. I also removed the burner to expose the gas inflow valve to see if it was clogged but it was clean.
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.

NO gas will flow without the igniters coming on. Can you test to see if the igniter is getting voltage (120 VAC) when the oven is turned on?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
With the ignitors, are you referring to the module that produces a spark that lights the gas?
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.

That model shows it uses glow igniters in the oven, shown at the link below. They will be mounted on the side of each burner tube. We need to measure the voltage between the two wires when the oven is turned on.

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Are you referring to this?http://www.appliancepartspros.com/bosch-ignitor-418885-ap3194444.html
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.

Your oven model shows it uses the hot surface igniters shown at the link below.

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I do not see a part like that in my oven. I removed all the plates to expose the burner tube. I also removed the burner tube itself and I only see the gas inflow and the spark module.
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.

Hmm, can you post a picture of what you see and double check the model number?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have attached two pictures of the burner box. The burning tube is like a "W" shape and sits in the middle. There is only the gas inflow and the spark module. I removed the box to see what was underneath and there is nothing but insulation and then the floor.
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.

That is definitely a spark ignition system, thank you. The gas will not flow if there is no spark. Do you hear it clicking to spark when you turn the oven on? With the floor removed, do you see any spark?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, I do not see a spark. Previously, when the oven was working I would hear a buzzing sound and then I could hear the gas ignite. Now, I just hear the fan (no buzzing sound) and I do not smell gas. I have two of these spark units and neither of them work.http://www.appliancepartspros.com/bosch-ignitor-418885-ap3194444.html
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can you confirm that you think it is the spark module that is preventing the gas from flowing? In a previous repair, I would smell gas but the spark module would work very intermittently. Now, I do not smell any gas at all. Thanks.
Expert:  Rick replied 2 years ago.

Hello my name is***** have read through all the questions and replies. Are you saying you have two spark modules and neither of them will create a spark? Do you have a volt/ohm meter?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have two spark modules and neither of them are producing a spark. There is no gas flowing into the oven but the fan and lights work properly. I do have a voltmeter that I can use but what kind of reading should I be looking for? Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can you please confirm what kind of reading I should be looking for on the voltmeter for these spark modules?
Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I noted that this question has been closed but my issue has not been resolved. I will require additional assistance with this issue.