Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

HELP using my oven to bake cake and somehow door locked with

Customer Question

HELP using my oven to bake cake and somehow door locked with cake inside. It's an old model at least 20 yrs old electric range ceramic top convection and self clean features. I've already tried cancel doesn't work help
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
If the oven locked on it's own and the unit isn't beeping with an error code like F3 on the screen, it sounds like the heat triggered one of the switches on the latch and the latch is failing so it would need to be replaced. Sometimes you can just unplug the unit and let the oven cool down and it'll unlock on it's own. If not, then you'd have to manually unlock the door which is very difficult. You'll need to use a coat hanger and pull the latch assembly from RIGHT to LEFT by slipping it down between the door and the oven frame at the top. Force the latch over to the left and open the door, then you can remove the panel in front of the door latch and replace the latch assembly.Now I do want to also add that you may need something stronger than a coat hanger to manually open the door. If you have an "L-shaped" tool like a cotter pin puller or allen wrench, that might give you the added strength to be able to pull on the latch and release it.We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.