AppTech8579
AppTech8579, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  worked on appliances for around 15 years
76126576

I have a Samsung top loader washing machine, model #WA400 and

Customer Question

I have a Samsung top loader washing machine, model #WA400 and I am getting error code 3E. How can I fix this?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  AppTech8579 replied 1 year ago.
3E indicates no signal from the drive motor tachometer. Unplug the washer. Check the wire harness connections on the drive motor and the electronic control board. If the wiring connections are sound, the drive motor or the tachometer (also called the hall sensor) may need to be replaced. Rating my answer "OK Service" or better is the only way I receive credit for helping you. Please let me know if you need additional assistance or have any other questions. Thanks!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Jamie. Thank you for your reply. I already read about the hall sensor online, and I took the cover off of the electronic control board to perform the hall sensor check (according to my Samsung troubleshooting manual, this was the CN9 terminal). I unplugged CN9, and the 4 pins inside appear to be in tact. I am not sure where to go from here.
How can I tell if it needs to be replaced, or if there is something else wrong? From what I have heard, the 3E error could also be something other than the hall sensor.
Please advise the next steps I should take. Thank you, Bob.
The fault code you give is either the drive motor or hall sensor or possibly worse the control board. Lets see if any error codes are saved in the systems memory.To do this, enter the service mode by pressing the signal and extra rinse buttons together for 5 seconds.Here are the testing parameters for your unit. While in Service Mode the following tests can be performed:Quick Spin Test = Delay Start & Temp: This acceleratesthe drum motor from 0 to maximum RPM over a fewminutes. Note: Stay with the washer during this test, out ofbalance detection may be bypassed.Press the Start/Pause button during the test to hold its spinningspeed for 10 minutes before going back to Quick Spin TestCycle Count = Press Signal key to view times the unit was usedSoft Ware # = Press Soil key to see the software version infoFast Time Down = Press Temp key to advance to next cycleFault Code Test = Press the Spin button to view thestored fault codes - then turn Jog Dial to view error codes(Push Start/Pause while the code is displayed to view the numberof cycles since the error occurred)Peripheral (Main PCB) input Tests1. Select Extra Rinse. Then turn the Jog-Dial so that the NormalLED is turned on. The Water Temperature will be displayed inCentigrade2. Select Extra Rinse. Then turn the Jog-Dial so that the HeavyDuty is turned on. The water temperature will be displayed inFahrenheit.3. Select Extra Rinse. Then turn the Jog-Dial so that the PermPress LED is turned on. The door status will be displayed (OP ifopen, CL if closed).4. Select Extra Rinse. Then turn the Jog-Dial so that the SanitizeLED is turned on. The door lock Switch status will be displayed(UL if unlocked, Lo if locked).5. Water Frequency/Water Sensor Testing Select a cycle &start the washer, enter Service Mode & press Extra Rinse.Turn the Jog Dial so that the Bedding LED is turned on. Next,press the Start/Pause Key. The Water Frequency will be displayed.The frequency will change as the unit fills.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jamie--Thank you for the steps provided above. I performed each of the tests you suggested, although some of the buttons you referenced were incorrect-- so I looked in the washer manual to find the right ones. 3E is the only error message stored.I appreciate your help, but I am no closer to fixing the problem than I was when I consulted the manual on my own. Can you suggest any further steps to this end? Also, if the solution is to replace the hall sensor, how can I do this myself? I see that the hall sensor is part of the electrical board and I don't see an easy way to remove it without destroying the board.Thank you for your help,
Bob