Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

I have a samsung dryer model dv448aep/xaa. The clothes from

Customer Question

I have a samsung dryer model dv448aep/xaa. The clothes from the unit recently and almost immediately started to have a very strong metallic odor. It's on everything that comes out of the dryer. Everything else (Dry time, softness, etc is okay) We use the NORMAL setting exclusively. Any ideas?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! The most common cause of odors is usually related to high heat caused by a restricted vent line. Is the vent clear to the outside of the home? Has any painting or staining been done recently that residue may be getting pulled in through the dryer vents as it draws room air?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. The vent is clear. Thats the first thing I checked. Also, clothes are drying in the same standard amount of time as always. No painting or other outside sources of odor.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Does the finish of the drum appear to be coming off? Any staining of the clothes at all?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. The tub looks very good and clean. No peeling or staining. We follow the operating procedures religiously. I did my own investigation before contacting you and checked the typical causes of odors. None seem to apply. We ran a load last night on a different dry cycle and the odor was much less noticeable. Clue?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
The only difference between cycles is the heat settings. The tumbling, air flow, etc is the same. Does the normal cycle seem to get very hot, like too hot?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The normal seems the same as it's always been. However, We ran a couple more loads and changed the temp cycles. When the temp was lower, the odor went away.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Do you have a thermometer that you can monitor the temperature at the exhaust with? I think we are on to a solution.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delay. I have been traveling last couple of days. I can get a thermometer. What temp range should I look for? Perhaps one like you'd use to test automobile AC temp?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Any thermometer will be sufficient. With a load of clothes, on normal you should see about 150* at the exhaust for a high temp, cycling about 130-150*F.