Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have a Kitchenaid refrigerator model #KBFS25ETBL01.

Customer Question
Hello, I have a Kitchenaid refrigerator...
I have a Kitchenaid refrigerator model #KBFS25ETBL01. We've noticed it running quite frequently in the last few days (nonstop today), and just now when I opened the door I could smell a strong burnt odor. It is in the freezer also. I pulled the fridge out from the wall and there is no smell coming from the back, or any heat either. The temperatures of the fridge and freezer are holding at their normal temperatures. Any suggestions as to what this may be from and how to get rid of the smell?
Thank you!
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Appliance
7/24/2015
Appliance Technician: Kelly, Appliance Technician replied 2 years ago
Kelly, Appliance Technician
Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! Have you noticed any clicking or buzzing sounds? Is the metal strip between the doors very hot?
No clicking, but we have noticed a different vibration sound that we thought was glass vases above the fridge, but we moved them and it continued. And the strip between doors is slightly warm but not hot.
Can you hear a fan running in the freezer section? Can you see any frost on the back wall inside the freezer?
Neither
Is the compressor running now? No fan in the freezer running?
No, the compressor has just stopped running.
Okay, so we need to see if the freezer fan comes on when the compressor comes back on. In the meantime, are you able to remove the back from the appliance to inspect the start device on the compressor?
Ok and yes I will do that.
The compressor came back on and the freezer fan is running.
Okay, the start device is shown as number 12 in the diagram at the link below. See if it looks burnt or if that is what is smelling. Great on the fan, that is good. CLICK HERE
Ok, just got the fridge out. We just moved in here 3 weeks ago and the previous owners put this huge fridge in a small cavity on Lino flooring, so it had to be wiggled out! Is the bottom black panel what I need to remove? And should I unplug the fridge first?
Also, the glass rattling noise we were hearing is definitely coming from the bottom right corner of the fridge.
Yes, the access panel is in the back at the very bottom. Is that where the noise is coming from? There is a fan back there that may have something in it. Use caution, the odor may be coming from a mouse that may have gotten down there, too.
Yes, that is where the noise is. Unplug the fridge?
Well, the noise will be easier to find with it plugged in, just keep your fingers away from the fan blade.
Ok
Keep me posted!
Ok I got it open, but I'm not sure where to find the start device
It is mounted right on the compressor, the black ball looking thing. Just see if it looks to be melted. Did you locate the noise or the source of the odor?
Ok I found it, it looks fine. the compressor is just starting up again, but there is no odor.
Hmm, okay. Is the odor strong down there? Did you track the sound down?
No, I can't smell the burnt odor at all down here actually... It seems to be in the refrigerator/freezer cavity only. And the sound it not happening with the panel off. The fan is also not running yet though.
Fan just came on, no noise yet.
The panel itself may have been vibrating. You can go ahead and button it back up. There is a heater in the freezer that defrosts the coil. I wonder if something got on it and got burnt??
Is the odor strong in the freezer?
Yes, strong in freezer and fridge.
It would be odd that the heater would cause odors because there would have to be something small enough to get through the vent holes in the freezer. Is there any ,elted plastic wrapper in the freezer near the back wall?
Nope, it's all nice and clean...
Well, the only thing left to do is quite involved and that is to remove the panel from inside the freezer, number 11 in the diagram at the link below. Behind that is the evaporator coil and the heater is mounted at the bottom of that coil. Are you up for that? It will require, of course, that all internal freezer parts be removed. CLICK HERE
I think that may be beyond my capabilities. I will call someone out to take a look at it. Thank you anyway!
I understand, thank you!
Kelly, Appliance Technician