John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

I am Don. I have Maytag fridge Model MFD2560HEW and it just

Customer Question

Hi I am Don. I have Maytag fridge Model MFD2560HEW and it just stopped cooling. Freezer is working fine and fan is running in the back. I have it unplugged to try and will defrost, if that's the problem.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JA My name is Woody. I will be glad to assist you today. I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 34 Years, and have over 100,000 in home repairs and over 60,000 phone and internet repairs under my belt.If you open the freezer door and look at the rear interior freezer panel to see if there is any frost or ice on the rear wall?And can you hear the freezer fan running?The top fresh food section is cooled by the cold air from the freezer being blown into the fresh food section by the freezer fan .
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am not sure if you got my reply. There was minor ice on the rear wall and fan behind fridge at the bottom and was running before I unplugged it.
Ok the fan I was asking about is in the freezer behind the rear panel ,not the condenser fan under the unit Lets see if the Freezer Evap fan is running ,and then advance the unit into a manual defrost mode.here is how. 1. Hold the refrigerator door light switch closed.2. Press the Refrigerator Temperature Down keypad 3 times consecutively.Note: The 3 keystrokes must be consecutive and within 10 seconds. After 10 min open the freezer door and listen to hear for sizzling and popping this will be the ice malting and the water dripping onto the heater element.defrost will last approx 20-25 min.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok I did that and it sounded like something was happening. It does not seem to be getting cold so I will wait a while and check later. I'd like to continue our chat a little later. When will you likely be available or not available?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I could hear it dripping and popping. Should it start getting cold after that or is there something else I do next?
ok you still have not answered if the freezer fan was running or not , I have asked twice. not mad but I need to know if the fan was running or not , if the fan was not running it will accumulate ice on the coil because of no air flow across the coil.And yes we can continue ,,Just copy This conversations URL and paste it into your favorites and get back to me when you can!I`m on line 9-5 Monday -Saturday normally , but I will not be online this Saturday.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I did not answer question about freezer fan because I do not see it in there and cannot really hear it either. Is the sound it makes noticeable? Is there a cover or something on it that is easily taken off to view it?
oh yes as soon as you open the freezer door WHEN the unit is in the cooling mode you should be able to hear the fan and even feel the air flow in the freezer.Yes the rear interior panel in the freezer would need to be removed to see the fan ,but you should have been able to hear it when the unit was running in the cooling mode, you will not hear it in defrost of course.