The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years repairing appliances
3079445

I have a 3 yesr old GE front load washer. Model # ***** (or

Customer Question

I have a 3 yesr old GE front load washer. Model # ***** (or U)HG260HWL. I repeatedly have marks/stains gray or brown in color and long and very narrow in shape. It looks a bit like soap residue or dirt. I have been told by my repairman to use less soap (The HE type) and that has not solved the problem, He recommended 1/3c per load.
Is there a solution? I have just washed a pair of white slacks for the third time. Each time there is a mark but always in a different place. Help.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 2 years ago.
Hi, and welcome to JustAnswer.The problem you have is a common one and I am surprised that your repairman doesn't know about it.You are correct. It is soap residue...mixed with skin oils. The soap will not clean itself so you just need something that will.It is called Affresh. You can get it at your local supermarket or big box home improvement center. Initially run two loads using the Affresh and a couple old towels or a hand full of rags. That will break up the big stuff. Another treatment will clear things up and get rid of the problem. After that once a month will keep it from coming back.Let me know if you need anything else.Best, ***** ***** sure to rate before you log off.