Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a Kenmore fridge that's been making a constant and very loud rumbling/growling

Customer Question

I have a Kenmore fridge that's been making a constant and very loud rumbling/growling sound all day. Never stops -- not even when i open the doors. Sound does not change whether doors are open or closed I cleaned underneath and that didn't help. The noise is louder than my old air conditioner.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
Do you have a model number so I can better assist you? And if you pull the refrigerator out and remove the lower back access panel, you can access the compressor and condenser fan motor. Stick a pencil in the condenser fan blade and stop the fan. Does the noise go away? If not, then does the noise sound like it's coming from the large black round compressor?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's a sears coldspot
MOd number 70182000. I pulled the fridge out and can try to remove the panel.. There are a lot of screws and the space is tight so it might take a bit.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
Alright, just let me know what you find really quick.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Noise does not stop with pencil stopping fan blade. BUT NOW the fan is also making it's own noise. Don't think the pencil helped it much.,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Fan has now stopped working altogether. Original noise still there. I now think the fan is broken also
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
hmm, ok The fan that you just stopped you think is broken? Do you think you possibly bent a fan blade a bit and you need to bend it back because it's hitting something causing it to stall?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I think the fan blade is bent. Have been trying to figure out which one and the right way to bend. Of course, the original problem is still there..
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
Yes I understand that, but I'd like to get the newest issue fixed before we start trying to find the other issue. The blades are just thin metal so you can try to bend or twist them a bit to try to straighten them out and get it rotating like normal.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Fan is running again, but still hitting something. will continue to work on the blades.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
OK well keep working on that, the next thing you'd need to do is pul everything out of the freezer and remove the back panel in the freezer to see the fan inside the freezer to see why it's making noise because that is the only other thing that can create that noise. The fan motor could be bad or more than likely it's probably hitting ice or frost that you'll need to thaw with a hair dryer to remove the sound.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
unloaded freezer and checked it out. But... the sound is definitely coming from the motor/compressor ?? at the bottom left side of the fridge. Fan is working again.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
OK if it's coming from the compressor, there is nothing that you could do but replace the compressor to fix that issue which is about $600 I'm sorry to say.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Well, at least I know. Thanks.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
Not a problem but I'm very sorry about the bad news.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can I continue to run this thing as long as it will while I get another installed this week? Or is it a hazard?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
It's not a hazard, but there is no telling how long it will last in the mean time.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?