Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

Michael, I've got a viking bar cooler/wine cooler with an

Customer Question

Hi Michael, I've got a viking bar cooler/wine cooler with an e3 code. Could you help me out with it? I've run everything in diagnostic mode, although I'm uncertain how to interpret the results. The condenser fan/ compressor do kick on in diagnostic mode. I've disassembled it to get at the thermistor, but I don't really no how to test resistance on the thing.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! The thermistor is tested by measuring resistance between the two wires. In a glass filled with ice water, it should read about 16k ohms. If it does not, replace it. If it does, replace the control. Unplug for one hour before replacing to reset all electronics first, though.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the response. Resistance was quite low, and only changed slightly when introducing it to the ice water. I've ordered a replacement part evap thermistor. We'll see how it goes.
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
Sounds like you got it figured out! There should be a drastic change between room temp and ice water resistance.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Kelly,So, I received the replacement part today and installed it. Kicked on the fridge... no noise from the compressor or fan. I throw it in diagnostic mode and start all the components. After 5 minutes, the e3 error code comes back! Do you have any idea what else the problem could be?Thanks,
Brandon
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your response btw. I really appreciate your time.
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
It has to be that the control is not recognizing the input from the sensor then. Do the connections all appear to be in good shape?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The board looked to be in good physical condition. Although, at this point, it seems to be the problem. Any chance it's a capacitor/fuse or something like that?Upon further inspection, I think I mis-read the resistance on the multimeter. The one I have is pretty old with the analog needle display instead of digital. I tested the replaced thermistor again. It read 29k ohms in the ice water, about 20k ohms at room temp.I'll pull the board tonight and inspect it more closely. I may touch the solder points for the thermistor connector to see if it helps. Hopefully I can find a replacement if need be.
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
That error is very specific, so if the sensor is new, the control is really the only other thing that would cause that error.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So, a bad board would cause the compressor/condensor fan not to kick on when powering on the unit? I guess that has to be the case since they do start up in diagnostic mode. Any chance it could be the other thermistor?
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
I do suspect the board is at fault. You would see another error code if the other thermistor was out of range.