Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Behind the toe grille of my sx522ve is a rotary on/off switch

Customer Question

Behind the toe grille of my sx522ve is a rotary on/off switch of some kind. It feels like a ratcheted timer control, but its purpose is unclear, at least to.me. My problem is that every few hours it trips the relevant breaker in my house fuse box and the refrigerator goes off. What is the problem and how do I fix it? Regards, ***** *****
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
That device really is a timer. It turns the refrigerator into defrost mode which is why it's called the "defrost timer". Now if the refrigerator runs and it trips the breaker as soon as it clicks into defrost mode, it sounds like either your defrost heater or your defrost thermostat has grounded out and tripping the breaker when power is applied. You'll need to pull the back panel inside the freezer. Test continuity from a terminal on the heater (heater runs along the bottom of the silver coils) to the evaporator (which is grounded) or try from the defrost thermostat (1" round device clipped onto the top of the silver evaporator coils) to the evaporator and whatever part has continuity---replace it. If neither have continuity to ground, replace the timer. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?