Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

The maytag washer model number mvwc400xwy will not drain or

Customer Question
cycle through. I tried to...
the maytag washer model number mvwc400xwy will not drain or cycle through. I tried to use then drain and spin cycle to no success. I found numerous coins and a small bolt, wife forgot to check pockets of jeans. the washplate does not spin smoothly. did this system shut down and what do I do next?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Appliance
7/16/2015
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 2 years ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
You may have to remove the inner basket in order to check for debris between the inner basket and outer tub. Aside from that, something may have gotten into the drain pump and is jamming the drain pump now. Below is a link to a video that shows you how to remove the drain pump so you can check for a blockage inside. CLICK HERE for drain pump Removing the inner basket requires a specialty tool called a spanner wrench to remove the locking washer above the inner basket under the wash plate so if you need to do that, you may need a technician. As for how to remove the wash plate, just use a knife and pry the center cap of the wash plate off and remove the bolt below that. Then pull the wash plate up and remove any debris under that. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.
there was a washer wedge between the washing plate and drum, so I took that out, put the clothes back in the washer, but the washer lid locked and the sensing light comes and after a few minutes the light goes to lid lock. Now what do I do?
ok
So I just want to start by saying if I was in your house, I'd go through diagnostics and see what error code you're getting, but I've tried to explain how to do this to many people and for some reason they just can't get the sequence to work. So by far, the most likely thing that will cause this issue is your actuator failing or possibly your drain pump being clogged up. Both the drain pump and the actuator motor are located below the tub and if you're wondering, the actuator is the part that switches the shifter next to the motor. You'll want to first check the drain pump so unplug the washer and tip the unit backwards a bit so you can get underneath. Follow the drain hose to locate the drain pump under the tub and you'll want to remove as much water out of the tub as you can because whatever is left inside will come pouring out once you remove the drain pump. Have a wet vac or lots of towels ready to soak up the water that comes out. Check for a blockage and remove anything inside the pump that you find. Put everything back together and try the washer again. If you still get the same problem, onto the actuator we go.To access the actuator you need to unplug the washer, tip the washer backwards, and remove the 2 screws going into the plastic cover near the back left corner. That will allow you to access the motor and the actuator to the right of the motor. Remove the screws going into the actuator and replace the actuator. Below is a link to the part you'd need to order for your model. CLICK HERE for part as well as video at bottom of link that shows you how to replace the part.Now, if you wanted to give it a shot and see if you can pull up an error code, here is the sequence you'll need to go through to display the error code.1. Be sure the washer is in standby mode (plugged in with all indicators off). (press and hold the start/cancel button for 3 seconds to turn everything off)2. Perform the following sequence of movement using the cycle selector knob. NOTE: AFTER RESET, sequence “a” through “e” must be completed within 6 seconds.RESET - Rotate cycle selector knob counterclockwise to clear sequence.a. Rotate cycle selector knob clockwise one click and wait 1⁄2 second. b. Rotate cycle selector knob clockwise one click and wait 1⁄2 second.c. Rotate cycle selector knob clockwise one click and wait 1⁄2 second. d. Rotate cycle selector knob counter-clockwise one click and wait 1⁄2 second. e. Rotate cycle selector knob clockwise one click and wait 1⁄2 second. Now you are in diagnostics. Turn the knob until just the "DONE" LED is illuminated. Push START. Now turn the dial one click and now the error code is displayed in the form of LEDs along the progress line. Just note which lights appear and let me know and I can tell you what error you're getting. There will be 2 sets of lights that appear and I need both sets to know what error you're getting.We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.
Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc