Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

Kelly: I have an Asko T701 dryer. Recently it stopped running a full cycle. It wou

Customer Question

Hello, Kelly: I have an Asko T701 dryer. Recently it stopped running a full cycle. It would start, heat and then after a minute or two, it would shut itself down.
Most recently, the dryer simply does not heat enough to dry, runs a short while, then shuts down completely.
This sounds like a heating element, but I am concerned that it might be the high-heat limiter thermostat as initially it did heat up well enough to dry before shutting down.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! If it starts right back up, it is probably related to the sensor ciurcuit. Inside the dryer are two metal strips that sense the moisture in the clothes. The clothing passes over the strips and create an electrical path with the moisture in them. The metal strips sense the resistance in that electrical path and send that resistance reading to the control. The control then reads the resistance reading, interprets the resistance and from that reading determines how long the dryer needs to run. The less moisture in the clothing, the higher the resistance. The problem is that over time, detergent and softener residue builds up on the metal sensor strips and creates an insulating barrier between the strips and the clothing. Since the strips cannot sense the moisture in the clothing because of this barrier, it sends a high resistance reading to the control. The control then interprets that to mean that the clothes are dry and shuts off prematurely. You will need to clean those strips with a Scotch Brite pad, steel wool, sand paper or other abrasive to remove that barrier. Let me know what happens, please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't seem to find the metal sensor strips inside the drum. I do have two plastic "paddle-like" things that are mounted from one side of the drum to the other. In the top of those paddles are two holes and I cleaned both holes out. Two were mostly clogged with hardened lint. The holes are perhaps 3/16" inch wide.We then ran a load through the dryer but the clothes still were not dry at the end of the cycle. The dryer did run a full cycle however. Unlike previously, the dryer did not shut itself down.Where are the sensor strips actually located within the dryer drum. The dryer drum on my machine is really clean surfaced other than these very prominent "paddle" devices.This dryer seems to get very warm, so I am surprised that after an hour's run time the clothes simply were not dry.
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
If you remove the lint filter, is that area it is in pretty full of lint?