Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have whirlpool wrt311sfyw 01 refridgerator and icemaker has

Customer Question
quit, how do i...
I have whirlpool wrt311sfyw 01 refridgerator and icemaker has quit, how do i troubleshoot this thing
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Appliance
7/13/2015
Appliance Technician: Jon, Appliance Technician replied 2 years ago
Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician
Have you checked the ice maker mold to see if it has frozen ice in it?
According to the model number you listed this is an ice maker that you have added to the ref, is this correct?
If there is no ice in the mold then are we sure the water supply to the ref has been turned on?
I can tell you what to do next to diagnose this issue with eh ref ice maker just get back to me here when you are ready to go over a few things.
Usually we would go the route of removing the ice maker and defrosting any ice that might be frozen in there. Then reseting it back in place then forcing the fill and waiting to see if the water comes in and freezes. Then dumps out. Knowing if this will happen will lead us into a direction of the water valve or ice maker.
Again just get back to me here when you are ready to go through the diagnostic steps and I will help you through it.

i am pretty sure i need to turn off the water going to it before removal dont I, or is there a valve on the ice maker that will conrol water flow

we are warming the icemaker with hair dryer to see what happens

You don't have to turn the water supply off before removal. When you remove the ice maker you will be removing the power cord from the ice maker when removing. It is the only connector to the ice maker. Sometimes simply defrosting the ice maker mold with a hair dryer will not work. I may only defrost the ice that is in the mold to water then after defrosting it it will just freeze again. But give it a shot and tell me what you find? If the ice maker now works and dumps the ice and makes new ice. Or again just freezes it and doesn't dump it from the ice maker mold.
Jon
Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician