Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician
Experience:  30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line
16832328

We are trying to replace a solenoid on our ice dispenser door,

Customer Question

We are trying to replace a solenoid on our ice dispenser door, but one of the screws is rusted and we cannot remove it. It's the screw on top of the solenoid. Any suggestion on how to remove it?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JA My name is***** will be glad to assist you today. I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 34 Years, and have over 100,000 in home repairs and over 60,000 phone and internet repairs under my belt.If a screw is so rusted that your screw driver can not get a good bite on it to turn it .You will need to try to get a pair of vise grips on it and turn it ,if you can not the best and fastest way is with a dremel tool to just cut the head off and the you will have to find a screw that will match the threads for the replacement part. depending upon which screw it is it may not even be needed some parts do not need every screw that the manufacture puts on them.But if you have any questions just reply back to me.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My husband says the space is too small for a vise or to cut off the head. Do you mind if he calls you? His name is Harding.
I do not work of of the Just Answer office I` a remote expert .I work from my own Service company in a different state .and do not participate in the live call option ,sorry!But you only need a small area for a dremel tool no bigger the a quarter just the size of the cut off wheel and they are smaller the a quarter
which screw is it ask him ,here is the parts break down to help identify it .http://www.searspartsdirect.com/ge-refrigerator-parts/model-PSH25MSTASV/0432/0165000/G0604165/00007.html