Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

The dryer drum is carrying an electric charge. I took it apart

Customer Question

The dryer drum is carrying an electric charge. I took it apart but could not find any wires out of place or damaged. It appears the charge is limited to the drum itself.
There had been a heavy unbalanced weight in the dryer and it broke the belt. After that the drum was electrified. I replaced the belt but the drum remains electrified.
What are my options?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! The heating element is rubbing on the back of the drum. Replace the heating element and you should have no more issues. Make sure the rear bearing is in good shape, too, so the drum does not sag.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey Kelly
I finally bought the heating element and installed it tonight and it did not fix the electric shock problem. Is there some other way this could be happening?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Only if a wire is shorted or there is a wiring issue in the dryer. However, to energize only the drum, it has to be element related because the drum is insulated in the back by the plastic bearing and the front by the felt bearing. Some have a small static ball that grounds the rear bearing but they usually fall out. Did you see any wiring issues while you had the dryer apart?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I traced every wire in the dryer and saw nothing out of place. I did not see a small static ball anywhere. I am a handyman by trade and know what I am looking at and nothing seemed out of place. Is there a way to test any of this equipment?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Of course, with 220v I am trying to not electrocute myself.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
What voltage are you getting when the drum is energized? Is the dryer well grounded and is it through the neutral or through a separate ground?