John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

My dryer will not turn on, the display panel lights

Customer Question

hello, my dryer will not turn on, the display panel lights up and when I push the start button I can hear a clicking noise but it does not start. The times does count down though.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for requesting me.Do you have a volt-Ohm meter and know how to use it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes
ok let`s remove the top dryer panel ( two screws from the rear of the dryer) then slide the top panel to the rear and lift off the dryer.On the left side top is the main control board lets test the light blue wire to the white wire ,looking for 120 volts A/C .And the dryer needs to be programmed and the time counting down.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
okay, I have 120 volts
ok so the control board has voltage feeding the motor circuit .Next remove the front lower panel (two screws under the panel) on the blower housing from the filter housing is a thermal fuse .UNPLUG THE DRYER and fine the thermal fuse (two light blue wires remove the wires and join them together if they have the plastic cover on the terminals use a small paper clip as a jumper. make sure the wires or this make shift jumper does not touch bare metal .and plug the unit back in and try to start the dryer .Let me know if it starts or not.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
it did start
ok so then the thermal fuse is bad .check your venting ,make sure the vent is clear all the way to the outside.and make sure to clean the filter with every load.Here is a link to the part.http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Thermal-Fuse/3392519/2986?ss=-x33333932353139&mr=0?rcaid=1000070If you have any questions just reply back.