Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My like new 2 year old LG top loader washer has build up of

Customer Question

My like new 2 year old LG top loader washer has build up of a brown putty like paste in the agitator. the cap was packed with it. no scum or soapy smell. almost dirt like. it gets in the clothes
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
Is is a very common build up that occurs inside the agitators on these washers. It especially builds up quicker if you don't use bleach or you use softener in the washer. You can remove the agitator and cap to manually clean it out, or you can run a cycle every few months with a product called Washer Magic which will clean out the entire washer without having to take it apart. At this point 2 years later, there isn't a choice other than to manually clean it out since there will be so much build up, but after it's clean you can use Washer Magic every 6 months or so to stay on top of the problem. You can pick up Washer Magic at Lowes or order it on-line if you'd like.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have photos of this material. would it confirm what you say? Service America is taking the machine out. I'm concerned since mechanically the machine is fine. Is it just a cleaning that's required? Like with a pressure hose?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
I've seen this material before, it's very common on almost every washer, it's just that people don't take the agitator apart or out so most people never notice it. But yes, removing the agitator or what not and using a pressure washer would definitely clean them.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?