Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

How do you replace a damaged ice auger in a GE side by side

Customer Question
model # ***** serial no...
How do you replace a damaged ice auger in a GE side by side model # ***** serial no. TD409588
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Appliance
7/10/2015
Appliance Technician: Jon, Appliance Technician replied 2 years ago
Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician
Hello. Thank you for allowing us to help you today. Are you referring to the auger in the ice bin that pushes the ice out or the auger in the back of the freezer cabinet the ice bucket connects with?
If you are looking to remove the crusher that is in the front of the ice bin then you will need to remove the ice bin and lay it flat on a table. then remove the front. Sometimes it snaps in and others it has some screws on the back of the front cover. So flip it over so you can get a good look at the back of the front cover to see if it has screws or clips.
Remove the front cover then start shifting the rod of the auger back and forth unit it comes out of the bin. Sometimes it can be a bit difficult to get out so don't get frustrated. It will come out. If it is giving you a real hard time you may need to remove the next set of screws to the crusher in the front of the ice bin. This swill give you some more room to wiggle it out.
Once out you can reverse the steps to get the new one in place.
Please try this and get back to me here if you have any other problems and I will help you more. If it does come out great. Please remember to positively rate me below this chat.
Thanks again.
On some models you will need to totally remove and take apart the front of the ice bucket and crusher. Then unscrew the retaining washer or nut holding the auger in place.
Her is a good video showing you how that is done. So if this auger is similar to your model then follow it step by step to remove and replace the ice bin auger.
Just click on the link below or copy and paste it to your browser to open and view.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umO-e9yLdBA
If you have more questions please get back to me here and I will help you more. If you are successful and feel that I have helped to answer your questions please remember to positively rate my performance below this chat with ok service or better rating. And if you have more questions after positively rating me you can always get back to me here at any time and I will help you more for no additional charge.
Thanks and please let me know how you do.
Jon
Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician