Appliance Tech Dave
Appliance Tech Dave, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years experience specializing in Whirlpool, KitchenAid and Kenmore
19941226

MY GAS WHIRLPOOL Duet model GW9250PL0 will not start. It clicks

Customer Question

MY GAS WHIRLPOOL Duet model GW9250PL0 will not start. It clicks when pressing the start button and a humming noise can be heard. I replaced the control board (burnt area on it) and the motor. Still will not start, just clicks. Checked Thermal Fuse and Thermistor good. Any ideas what else to check or replace?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Dave replied 2 years ago.
Hello, this is Dave. Can you tell if the humming is coming from the motor? Depending what we need to do we may need a meter if you have one.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have replaced the motor and the control board. I do have a meter (Fluke digital).
The reason I asked about the motor humming is that I wanted to know if it was getting at least partial power. I think the easiest place to do meter checks will be the control board under the top. Remove the top panel. The screws are at the back and then the top lifts at the back, pull back and lift off. The first check is P1-5 (Black) to P1-2 (White). There should be 120vac there all the time. All other checks use the P1-2 and one other. When trying to run, check to P1-4 (Light Blue). Should be 120vac. Let me know what you get with the meter.
Were you able to make the tests? Do you still need help?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
White to black has 120 vac. White to blue has 7.2 vac. What is wrong? Why am I not getting 120 vac?
Was that white P1-2 to the light blue P1-4 at the control?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
P1 to p2 (blue to white) at the control was 7.2 vac. P2 to p5 was 120 vac (black to white)
The P is for "plug" and then the next number is ***** wire number. The number should be on the control.To be sure you are on the right wire you need all the numbers. From P1-4 (light blue) to P1-3 (Blue) there should be 120vac when the motor should be running. You should have the same 120vac from P1-4 (light blue) to P1-2 (White) when the motor should be running. Set the control and press start. There should be a click at the control and then check for 120vac at these points. If you don't get the correct voltage at these points when it is trying to run you need a control.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have checked the voltages and have 220 vac on white to black at the connector during start. I have 7.2 vac from Light blue to white on start. I have replaced the control board twice with two different appliance parts suppliers. The motor and control board has been replaced twice. What else could it be? Wiring has been ohm out good.
Was that voltage reading a typo? If this is a gas dryer you should never read more than 120 vac.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Typo. 120 vac.
Ah, I thought so. With no 120 on the light blue to white at the control you have a control failure.
Sorry for the bad news.