Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Kenmore upright model(###) ###-#### ***** not cool at all ,compressor

Customer Question

Kenmore upright model(###) ###-#### ***** not cool at all ,compressor runs constantly gets hot,and inside temperature is hot air ,evaporator fan is working.the over temperature light blinks
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.I appears that you have noticed quite a few things which tells me what the problem is. First, if the compressor is running all the time and the inside temperature is hot, you just have a bad compressor and the compressor will need to be replaced. Now if the compressor keeps kicking on and off but the fans keeps running, this means that your compressor is overloading and cutting out. It will turn off for a few minutes and then try again over and over. Pull the refrigerator forward and unplug the refrigerator. Remove the lower back access panel and locate your large black round compressor. There is a small plastic box attached to the side of the compressor with several wires going into it. This is your overload relay. Pull the overload relay off the compressor and shake it. If it rattles, then it needs to be replaced. If it doesn't rattle, then you likely have a bad compressor and you'll need to call a technician in order to replace the compressor. A new compressor is about $600 so it may not be worth fixing if the compressor is bad I'm sorry to say. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.