Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Subzero MOdel 550Serial M1288557The back wall of the fridge

Customer Question
Subzero MOdel 550 Serial M1288557 The back...
Subzero MOdel 550
Serial M1288557
The back wall of the fridge above the left hydrator and below the shelf above it is developing frost. The frost doesn't extend to the right side. Temp seems to be normal. Bottom freezer seems fine. What could be causing this frosting?
Thanks!
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Appliance
7/1/2015
Appliance Technician: Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician replied 2 years ago
Randy 43
Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician
does the frost keep coming back if you knock it off? thx
Yes
what you have is freon leak ,its quite common on the older subzero's in behind that back wall is a coil ,its called the evaporator ,the material they made those out of broke down and they leak the coolant ,its usually not much per year but soon it gets to the point that the coolant cannot run thru the entire coil,then it starts balling up and starts to build up on that rear panel..it will cool still but it will eventually start affecting the temperatures..the evaporator coil needs to be replaced ,
its about a $500-$700 job ,it reqs refrigeration tools,torch and new freon ,it reqs specialized tools
Thank you, ***** ***** you say it's worth it to fix it?
with a new coil it should run fine ,they are made out of a new material now ,subzero's are very expensive fridges ,i would fix it and run it till it dies
Randy 43
Randy 43
Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician