John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

After a power surge our Thermador Model SEC301BS/01 Serial

Customer Question

After a power surge our Thermador Model SEC301BS/01 Serial Number 82503008241800087 oven lights do not work. How do i remove the light components from the oven to test and/or replace? They appear to have a metal clip on each end holding the light in place but it isn't clear that I can release the clip from the unit without damaging the clips. How should I start?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Jon replied 2 years ago.
Hello, My name is ***** ***** I am an appliance tech here and I can help you tonight.
Expert:  Jon replied 2 years ago.
The metal retaining clip needs to be removed before being able to unscrew the glass cover. Just gently pull the clip off with your hand or if you cant get a good grip on it use a pair of flat needle nose pliers and gently pull and maneuver to one side of the glass.
Expert:  Jon replied 2 years ago.
You may think that you will easily damage the glass but please don't worry the glass is thick and strong. When the clip is removed just unscrew the glass and dome and you will have access to the light bulbs. Just unscrew the bulbs and replace them. If they still dont light with new good bulbs then you will need to test the receptacle with an ac meter. Set meter to ac volts and safely stick the meter leads to the light receptacle and set light to come on. If no 110 volts then the main board is bad and will need to be replaced. If voltage and you are sure the new bulbs are good and still don't light replace the light receptacles. In most cases you will find the bulbs bad.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK. i removbed the clip and bulb. The bulb looks OK. the fulament seems unbroken. Is there a fuse that controls the oven light? The digital lights on the control panel work
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It isn't clear to me that you are discussing the same model that I am challenged by. There is a plastic cover over a small bulb (actually there are 2 - one on the left side of the oven and one on the right). The bulb does not unscrew. it has two wire elements that plug into small receptacles.
Expert:  Jon replied 2 years ago.
No. No fuse just for the lights. There is a separate fuse for the whole unit. But if the rest of the unit works but not the lights then it is good. This unit has a main control board that controls a lot of different things. Including the lights. So first replace the bulbs and if that doesnt work then check the light receptacle. If they are both good replace the main board.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Jon replied 2 years ago.
you got. that is what i am here for.
Expert:  Jon replied 2 years ago.
please remember to positively rate me below this chat if you feel that i have helped you. and please remember that if you have more questions or need more help after rating me positively please feel free to come back to me here at any time and i will help you more for no additional charge. thanks again.