Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My kenmore dishwasher made humming noise from control panel…

Customer Question
my kenmore dishwasher made humming...
my kenmore dishwasher made humming noise from control panel and then did not seem to go thru normal cycles. When I checked it in the morning the soap pod was on bottom rack somewhere broken but not used. dishes not clean. I have been trying to read how to run a diagnostic and or figure this out. It is about 10 yrs old, maybe a bit more. model #665-16012401
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Appliance
6/27/2015
Appliance Technician: MRANSWER, Home Appliance Technician replied 2 years ago
MRANSWER
MRANSWER, Home Appliance Technician
The wash pump may have failed here- that is the hum you hear. take off the toe kick and look straight back in the center. Let me know if you see any corrosion or evidence of leakage by the wash motor- you will see a piece of metal where the motor connects to the plastic sump right above floor level.
you might easily be right but the hum was not loud and seemed to come right from the control panel - not anything that far inside dw. any other ideas before i go thru all this checking toe kick etc? also did not mention that dw was very loud going through cycles for maybe last 5 months but then about 6 weeks ago it quieted down all on it's own
There is nothing in the control panel to hum other than a relay or two. Noisy washing is most always that wash pump going bad, so check what I mentioned as this is going to take work. The toe kick has 2 screws on it- if you are planning on fixing this then you will need to do way more than that.
So are you really reading what I am saying? NOW, it is NOT a noisy wash! That left 6 weeks ago. There was a slight control panel hum last night when I turned it on. Water went into it. I stopped it after 5 minutes as it did not seem to sound normal with the water, then I pressed cancel, it then drained all the water out. Does that still sound like a water pump? Now when I try it there is no hum. It is not washing correctly. Again, you might be right but I sense you are not really listening to what I am saying. THERE IS NO BIG NOISE COMING FROM THE INSIDE OF THE DW
The wash pump is not running. This has a drain pump that has nothing to do with the washing. I am reading all you wrote here. So, the only way to tell now if the pump is bad is to get a voltmeter and see if it has power to it when it should be running.
ok, finally did it. No sign of water or corrosion. Looks bone dry and perfect
You will need to follow my last post. Only 2 wires go to the wash pump and that is where the voltage needs to be tested. If the pump has power it's bad and if it does not then the control board is bad.
dont have a voltmeter. should I get one just for this?
which is worse cost or difficulty wise? wash pump or control board?
Both cost about the same- $150 or so. the board is easier, but the pump is not hard either.-There are videos on youtube that you can watch for either repair. You can get a meter for $10 at walmart. There are videos on youtube as well that show how to use one.